Quantcast

Zeebox App Review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 28, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Zeebox Review - Software - CNET Reviews (click for full article)

CNET Editors' Rating
    Stars
    Excellent
    Overall Rating: 8.5
    Installation And Setup: 7.0
    Features And Support: 8.0
    Interface: 8.0
    Performance: 10.0

"The good: Zeebox lets you use one app as the second screen for all your favorite shows. It's filled with information, and you get live updates about actors, products, and more that appear in the show.

The bad: If you're not careful, you'll be sending tweets and Facebook statuses about every little thing. Control of your set-top box (when it happens) will be limited to Comcast until more companies come on-board.

The bottom line: If you watch television regularly, Zeebox is an excellent companion, with tons of information about each show and several ways to communicate with other fans in real time.

Zeebox (iOS | Android) is a "second screen" television companion app for your iOS or Android devices that adds to your viewing experience as you watch your favorite shows.

There are already several second-screen apps available for specific shows and networks, but what sets Zeebox apart is the backing of NBC Universal, HBO, and Comcast, giving it the capability to be the second screen for all your TV watching. It also acts as your guide for planning your TV viewing throughout the day, with listings in your area for whichever service (even outside the companies listed) you use.

To check out the features in Zeebox you can sign in through Facebook or Twitter, or you can bypass the social networks initially to get the lay of the land. I chose to skip the sign-in, but it quickly became clear to me that the social connection is a neat way to share with friends while getting show recommendations from people you know who are also on Zeebox.

At the top of the interface, Zeebox has buttons for What's Hot, which gives you the shows being talked about currently; the Guide, to look at listings from your local cable or satellite service for the entire day (extremely useful); and Activity, for shows being watched currently by other Zeebox users. Though there's a lot going on in the interface, it's pretty self-explanatory how to navigate to each of the app's features."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

NBC, HBO, and Comcast are already on board with this thing. Will this be detrimental to future GTV sales?

IMO this part of the article was a bit concerning to me:

"The folks at Zeebox told me they are already in talks with Comcast to let you switch shows from the app itself through your set-top box. If that becomes a feature, I think you'll see a lot of people cozying up on the couch with their mobile devices and tablets as they chat with other fans about their favorite shows."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comcast thus far has pretty much shut GTV out of any kind of full scale integration. If Comcast offers different kinds of full integration with this free app I view it as competition for some of the same things that GTV aspires to do.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Will this work for users from another country who use something other than a Zip Code? This App doesn't show up in Google Play.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

Ahhh interesting. According to this LA Times article Comcast and NBC invested an undisclosed amount of money in Zeebox. Comcast likes this app because it encourages live TV viewing. Easy to see why now Zeebox has the inside track to getting full integrations with Comcast programming:

NBCUniversal, Comcast and HBO partner with Zeebox on U.S. launch - latimes.com (click for full article)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody tried sideloading the Zeebox android app to GTV? I doubt it will work - but I'm curious.

5. CatfishRivers

Zeebox will work with Google TV through the Chrome browser -:)

Zeebox has a nice web interface that I just tested with my Logitech Revue. I entered my zip code and TV service provider to get my listings. You can also use it with OTA listings. And you can log on through Facebook or Twitter (but not required to use those if you don't want).

Also you don't have to be a Comcast subscriber to get the basic service to work.

Here's a link to the Zeebox web site where you can access their free web based service with Chrome:

http://zeebox.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the link for the Zeebox android app in Google Play Store (It's not compatible with GTV devices):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zeebox.android.caa_us

6. CatfishRivers

I found this bit of information on the Zeebox FAQ section:

"Zeebox is available in the US and the UK. If you're in another country, stay tuned for news of zeebox launching where you are. Of course, you're still welcome to check out the UK or US versions of zeebox. Next up: Australia!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that you could also use the Zeebox web version from inside Canada. But you would probably have to enter a USA zip code and use USA program listings. I'm in USA so I can't test it for Canada.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Well it works for me but not usefull unless it supports Canadian TV! Thanks for the heads up!