Quantcast

YouTube videos banned from playing on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by astrobrooks, Jan 11, 2012.

1. astrobrooks

astrobrooks New Member

I have noticed since the software update, that many music videos and other clips will not play on google TV. Has anyone else noticed this? When I try to play some videos, it gives me a message on screen "this content is NOT available on google TV.

This never happened before the update. Since MTV never plays videos, it was awesome to be able to watch videos on the big screen. One of the many reasons I really enjoyed my google TV.

Does anyone have a fix for this or an explanation of why this is now happening? Driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

YouTube recently enabled the ability for content owners to chose whether or not they want their videos to be available on Google TV. They did it for the iPad a while back and it drove me crazy then too. Damn you CommunityChannel for not allowing me to watch your videos on my iPad, damn you!

3. astrobrooks

astrobrooks New Member

So I guess there is no way around this?? Settings, etc....?
    Another reason google tv is less appealing.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can use TVersity (with or without Pro) or PlayOn to transcode and stream YouTube videos from your computer to your Google TV device.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If you like music videos I suggest you check out VEVO - You can find it under the Spotlight Icon I think.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what music videos don't work on YouTube? I can say that all the videos on the MTV web site will play with the GTV user agent set to "generic". Have you tried the YouTube videos through chrome with the user agent set to generic?

7. cw54o

cw54o New Member

there were alot of videos on youtube (not just music) that wouldnt play for me through the youtube app. the chrome browser works just fine. i dont care for the set up in the app anyway. its difficult to find what im looking for at times.

8. astrobrooks

astrobrooks New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it. I will give the above ideas a try.

9. astrobrooks

astrobrooks New Member

Does anyone know how to get the youtube videos to play in the window (like on a desktop computer)? Every time I try to watch the videos it opens up in that google tv youtube player which I hate!!!

Suggestions Please!

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

When I first went to YouTube with the Chrome browser after the update - there was a prompt to view videos in Chrome as a default option. Apparently yours somehow got set to view YouTube videos through the YouTube app player as the default option.

Essentially what you'll need to do is clear your cookies and clear your default settings from your YouTube app. Then you will get the prompt again when you go to YouTube with Chrome - then select "view with Chrome" as your default option. Here is a thread where CatLogic explained in detail how to do it:

Needing help to disable leanback. - Logitech Forums

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And on this thread efferz explained how to clear the default settings from the YouTube app:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ow-do-i-change-settings-handling-youtube.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2