Quantcast

Youtube upgrade

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by delboy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. delboy

delboy New Member

I just purchased a Sony NSZGS7 on getting it home and running through the setup procedure. I found out that the box just didn't work and after a lengthy chat with Sony technical support the product had to be returned for replacement. I set up the second box which works in a fashion. The youtube app supplied with the box does not work, all it will do is ask to be updated. When accepting the update it just hangs waiting for content from the internet. When I use youtube in google chrome it very flacky.
    Can anyone help.

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Try hard wires instead of wifi and what internet speed connection are you running?

3. delboy

delboy New Member

Thanks for your speedy reply. I have bell business 6mb/s guaranteed internet service. I have tried it hard wired which makes no difference. I also have a WD TV live box working OK to view Youtube video content. That is hard wired. It is this cable I have used to test the Sony internet player. Makes no difference, it still will not work. If I surf the web using chrome, I can read the news paper etc OK. But not Youtube. It just keeps calling for an upgrade that never downloads.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try rebooting your router.

You can also try going to your settings and uninstalling the current version of YouTube app. Then go to the Google Play store and try installing the current version of the YouTube app again.

Also if you are using a router in your setup - you can try (as a troubleshooting measure) removing your router and connecting directly to modem.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. delboy

delboy New Member

I have retried rebooting the router and makes no difference. I can't connect directly to the Modem as the Router controls the connection account information.
    I couldn't find any way to uninstall Youtube app in settings. I did find out that there is a new version of Youtube on the google play. But can't download and install any apps from the google store. The system just hangs there waiting for a response from Google play. Is the google play store difference for the google TV. As google play store works for my tablet and smartphones.

6. CatfishRivers

There is a special Google Play Store app for GTV - and yes that is different.

Then there is also the Google Play Store web site that you can visit with Chrome browser - this should be the same.

Can you try going to the Google Play web site with Chrome browser and see if you can download apps that way with your Sony NSZ-ZS7?

Here is the link for the web version of Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store

Does your Netflix app work OK? How about your TV & Movies app?

7. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi CatfishRivers

Thanks a bundle for your speedy replies, it is much appreciated.

I to play.google.com/store using Chrome browser. I had to sign in and tried to install the youtube app for google tv. After clicking on the install button it came back with "your application will be downloaded shortly". That was over 10minutes ago. I tried to download another app for google tv with the same result. In the next 30mins or so it will just time out.

8. delboy

delboy New Member

There is one possibility to the issue with not being able to download content from the google TV play store. Does anyone know what port number the GTV store uses when downloading apps.
    As I could try to set the Sony Iplayer to a static IP address and then port forward the port. That would prove if the NAT in the router is causing the issue.

9. CatfishRivers

OK lets try a few things.

1) try signing out of your Google account and then signing back in.

2) try a factory reset of your GTV.

3) try a factory reset of your router.

4) try setting a static IP

5) try removing encryption from your router and see if it works that way

10. CatfishRivers

On the following thread (seee link below) I have listed all the fixes that GTV users have posted that worked for them when encountering router or wi-fi issues. I suggest you read the list and use it as a troubleshooting guide.

Your symptom of being able to web surf with Chrome on GTV - but not able to download apps - has been posted on the forums many times and the issue is usually related to the router in some way. (Your router can also be working fine with your other internet devices - it's just a quirk in the way some routers function with GTV):

Issues with Market App, YouTube, and other net app... - Logitech Forums

11. CatfishRivers

Yes setting a static IP is a good thing to try. I came across this article in Google Help section and it says Google Play uses ports TCP and UDP5228

Troubleshooting Download Issues - Google Play Help

and here is another Google Help article about downloading from Google Play:

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2651367

12. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi CatfishRivers

thanks a bundle for the Info on the router, I will check it out and report back my findings.

13. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

15. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi.

I have tried the following with Little success.

Scenario 1. Added a static IP to the linksys E3000 router and rebooted the router. Then done a factory reset on the Sony box, went through the set up the setting sequence and checked the status of the network.

1. The static IP address was OK
    2. Internet Connected
    3 Ethernet connected to internet

Then entered the Sony box IP address into the DMZ of the router to connect the link directly to the internet and not via the NAT. All started to work, could upgrade Youtube app from the Google play and watch videos etc. Just fine. Then I switch off the sony box. That was last night.

This morning switch the Sony box on and we are back to no youtube, can't download app's from the google play etc. Just back to square one.

The router settings have not changed, Checked the Sony box for Network status. It is showing the correct Static IP address and connected to the internet. But, when I look into the Router logs. There is NO outgoing activity taking place from the Sony box for that IP address. I have done a reboot on the router and the Sony box. Just get the same result NO outgoing traffic from the Sony Box, Youtube etc

It gives me the impression that the Sony box drops the ethernet link to the router on switch off and does not reinstate it on power up. As Nothing has been changed in the router The IP address is still in the DMZ mode. It should work every time.

16. CatfishRivers

OK I did a bit more research and came upon the following thread (see link below) where some users of the Sony NSZ-ZS7 experience "glitches" with ethernet:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6139-ethernet-woes-nsz-gs7-anyone-else.html

Those people said the problem disappeared when they switched to Wi-Fi.

I would suggest calling Sony support and seeing what they have to say about it. They could try sending you a new box to see if that solves the problem.

Although one user reported that Sony sent him out a new box and he still had the same issue. He solved his problem by switching to Wi-Fi.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  17. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi CatFishRivers

Thanks for your help and advise, it is much appreciated. Just to let you know that this is the second Sony Iplayer. The first one was even worse than this one, I contacted Sony Support and after an hour on the phone to them. The Sony guy told me to take it back to the store and get it replaced as it was faulty. The second one is not much better, at least I have seen this one work for wee while. It would be interesting to know what routers Sony of verified this player with. What routers have the forum members managed to get the player to work with.

I will be back, It has now become a challenge.!!!

18. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi All

I have just spent 2 hrs on the Sony esupport chat and got passed onto the second level of support. Basically they don't know what is wrong. They confirm that you require 2.5mb/s internet service for standard TV and 12Mb/s for HD service for the iplayer to work. None of this is stated on the Sony box when you make your purchase. Also, they confirmed that it should work with all routers. In my experience this is not always a true statement. In my business life, I design and install VoIP phone system and I know that in some cases these system will not work with certain routers due to the NAT implication not being to specification.

Now, the video does work when viewing movies on Crackle and when using chrome to view video content from newspapers etc. for example. Adobe TV product training videos.

I have set up port forwarding for the Google play store. But that didn't make any difference and can't download apps or upgrades from the store. I still have the static IP and set in the DMZ on the router making it directly connected to the internet service and not via the NAT.
    I will most likely take the unit to a friends home and set it up there and see what happens. If it then works OK, I will know the issue is something to do with the router, or an incompatibility with the router. Sony say this is a plug & play equipment. go figure
    I will report back later on in the week.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  19. delboy

delboy New Member

I currently have my Sony Iplayer working. it is plug into a Airlink101 router without any programming alteration. Therefore I can confirm the issue is a router problem. If I get Sony Iplayer working with the my linksys E3000 router over the weekend. I will post my finds for all

20. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi All
    I can confirm that there is a compatibility issue between the Linksys E3000 router and the Sony Internet player. I had a very interesting chat with Cisco support engineers and after a few hours testing and trying changing various parameters in the router. It still didn't work on the WIFI or ethernet network. They recommend that I should contact Sony support and get a list of compatible routers prior to making a new purchase.

I recontacted Sony technical support and basically got nowhere. They just repeated to me, "they have no router compatibility issues". I did point that there is another person with the same issue and got the reply "No known router issues." I requested a list of verified routers that will work with the Iplayer. That information was not forth coming and the Sony support engineer hung up on me. I personally find Sony Esupport just about useless and a waist of time. As after 4 contacts, There has been NO information requested forth coming or the issue being resolved.

After spending 5 days investigating this issue. I am not sure whether to take the Sony Internet player back to the store for refund or purchase a new router. As my E3000 router is currently working very well in my network environment and a replacement router will be an extra expense of over $170.

• Like Like x 2