Quantcast

YouTube Update Connects Android Devices, Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube Update Connects Android Devices, Google TV | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (click for full article)

By Stephanie Mlot November 13, 2012 10:47am EST

"Truly putting the "tube" in YouTube, the Google-owned video service has updated its Android app to allow users to more easily send YouTube videos to Google TV.

Announced today, the update for the Android and Google TV YouTube app automatically connects devices on the same Wi-Fi connection, allowing mobile users to instantly play content via the Google TV. Pair your device, click the TV icon that appears, and the video will appear via Google TV.

"What if you could send YouTube videos from your phone to your TV with a click of a button?" product manager Timbo Drayson wrote in a blog post. "It's an idea we've been working on since 2010, and today we're taking the next step."

The update essentially turns your phone or tablet into a remote control; pause, scroll, or skip to the next video as it plays on the TV. You can also search for another video or browse the Web on your gadget while the video continues to play uninterrupted on the TV set.

By adding multiple devices to the TV, Drayson said users can include friends and family on their playlists.

Two years ago, YouTube launched its Remote app for Android, providing a virtual connection between a mobile phone and YouTube Leanback, a Web-based option for full-screen viewing. But the experience of connecting phone and Google TV was a bit complicated - you had to sign in to YouTube Remote on your phone and YouTube Leanback on your Google TV. Now, you just sign in to YouTube and you're ready to go.

Last month, Google announced that it would offer access to movies, TV shows, and music on Google TV via the Google Play store.

Google has struggled with Google TV, but that hasn't stopped hardware manufacturers from investing in the platform. Earlier this summer, Vizio introduced its first Google TV-powered set-top box product, which let users experience live TV, streaming content, and cloud gaming from OnLive. Sony also announced plans for a Google TV set-top box around the same time."

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I just installed the YouTube Remote app on my TouchPad and have the feature working with a Logitech Revue and will set it up with the other Google TV boxes in the house later. It works well but I am not sure why I would want to control what I watch on YouTube with my tablet rather than the keyboard controller but maybe it will seem important after I play with it a little.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube updates Android app for one-tap sharing to Google TV | Mobile - CNET News (click for full article)

Move over, AirPlay -- Google's latest take on wireless streaming does Apple one better.

by Casey Newton November 13, 2012 6:00 AM PST

"Like many consumers of online video, Timbo Drayson wanted badly to bring his favorite viral clips from his smartphone to the big screen. But doing so hasn't always been easy, particularly for Google TV owners like himself.

"I love it when the video is playing," Drayson said. "But actually trying to navigate with these remotes is a nightmare."

Fortunately, as a product manager for YouTube, Drayson is in a position to do something about it. Recently, Drayson has been working in Google's London office on a new feature for YouTube designed to make streaming to the television easier than it has ever been on Android. The feature rolls out today.

Users of Android smartphones and tablets who update the YouTube app will see a new button making it possible to stream from their devices to the television in a single tap, so long as they are connected on the same Wi-Fi network. It replaces a seven-step process used to pair the YouTube app with GoogleTV and gaming consoles that even YouTube executives found cumbersome.

"This is bringing out my inner nerd," Drayson said recently at the Google TV office in Mountain View, Calif. Inside a plush demonstration room where the walls are painted Android green, Drayson sits down on the couch and picks up his Nexus 7 tablet. A television running Google TV software is perched on a stand a few feet away."

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. guest

guest Active Member

And, hopefully, Chrome devices will be next.