Quantcast

YouTube Reveals Which US Internet Providers Are Best And Worse At Streaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 29, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube reveals which US internet providers are best and worst at streaming | The Verge (click for full article)

by Chris Welch - May 29, 2014

-- Starting today, internet providers in the United States will finally be held to account for lackluster YouTube streaming speeds. Google has brought its Video Quality Report - first launched in Canada at the start of this year - to the US, and is now ranking ISPs like Cablevision and Verizon FiOS based on the fidelity of their YouTube streams. If you've been experiencing buffering issues or playback interruptions despite paying for a speedy internet connection, this monthly report could help answer the lingering question of why.

"Making sure you can watch YouTube in HD from anywhere, anytime is a shared effort among us, your Internet service provider and even you," the company says. On that last point, Google is offering consumers a number of tips to help boost YouTube performance. That's assuming of course that your chosen ISP and YouTube are on good, cooperative terms. But we're in a different world now. And as Netflix has shown (more than once), ensuring smooth streaming sometimes means pulling out the checkbook.

See more at: YouTube reveals which US internet providers are best and worst at streaming | The Verge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: Here's the link for the Google Video Quality Report:

Google Video Quality Report

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

i am not certain what this means, U-verse is listed as SD. I had U-verse up to 24Mbps and it was great with YouTube and any other HD streaming sources I used, Netflix, Vudu, etc. I am now using Comcast and it is great as well and the indication is HD. If all this report is indicating, lower speed plans are available that can't stream in HD, well OK, not everybody wants to pay for high speed internet to stream and a low cost, low speed plan makes sense for them. If Google is claiming U-verse up to 24Mbps can't stream YouTube HD, I say hogwash, I know better first hand. My tests here were always close to the plan's speeds but I don't know if that is true for all areas.

3. CatfishRivers

Here is the link for the methodolgy Google used for the Video Quality Report:

Google Video Quality Report

I have Comcast "Economy Plus" internet service which only has a speed of 3.5 mbps (download). I'm able to stream YouTube videos in 720P without problems. I think Google has been improving upon their compression technology used on YouTube. I just recently signed up for a 12 month special for $19.95/mo for my internet service. Since I can get 720P that's good enough for me and I feel I don't need to pay $50/mo for a faster tier.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can see why you would want the $20/plan and I think a lot of people would choose the same plan based on those facts. It sure sounds to me like Comcast has been a good service provider in your area. You must know it is politically correct to whine about Comcast service, not sure how you could do that with the service you receive and I know I can't with the service I receive from Comcast, at least not with a straight face. We do pay $50/month but have around 30 devices connected and use a lot of data now that we subscribe to Netflix and HBOGo. The most demanding service we use is Vudu at around 9Mbps but we might have several things going on at any given time. I don't know what Google is trying to accomplish but I am happy with the service and the price here and I am glad AT&T U-verse is here to provide competition and the specter of Google Fiber moving in to Comcast markets helps things also.Comcast is probably happy that people might look at that report and think that U-verse can't cut it, I will ignore it having using both services and subscribe to whichever offers the best deal for our needs.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  5. CatfishRivers