Quantcast

youtube problem

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Rick44, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I'm hoping someone can help me out. Starting today, I can't play youtube videos through google chrome.
    I rarely use the app. I did check the app, though, and could play them through that. I went to daily motion, through chrome, and could play a video through there as well.

I have never encountered this problem before. Never. Couple of times I've had the spinning wheel where videos are having trouble playing. This is different. All I get is a black screen. I should say the screen you would get if the video never started playing. The title of the video on top. None of the controls at the bottom of the video are there. The play and freeze button, the volume control, all the things that are at the bottom of the video screen. And it's just a black screen, nothing happens.

I have reset the tv twice. The cntl alt del routine. Someone please help.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

1) Try going to your settings and clear all data from the Chrome app.

if the above step doesn't fix it then try:

2) factory reset of your router. If no luck also try testing it directly wired (ethernet) to modem.

if still no luck try

3) factory reset of your GTV device.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  3. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I just noticed it today too. I have a Sony NSZ-GS7. Picture is black when playing YouTube Video. However I do get the audio. My guess is YouTube changed something on the back end. They occasionally do this.... I hope this will not require a Firmware update from Sony!

4. CatfishRivers

Interesting. It's hard for me to say for sure - as I'm not having any YouTube issues on my Logitech Revue. I am also still on the 3.1 update - so that could be a possible reason why YouTube still works for me. I'm connected by ethernet directly to my modem.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I watched a movie yesterday using YouTube, "The Smallest Show on Earth", I don't recall whether I used Chrome or the YouTube app but it did crash the first couple of times I tried. I am on ver. 3.2 using a Revue. I sure hope YouTube isn't being changed for the worse, as far as Google TV users are concerned.

6. Maximus

Maximus New Member

My sony NSZ-GS7 froze overnight, so I decided to unplug it this morning. And it fixed teh YouTube issue. Now it is working again. So it must have been something with the box. By the way so far my Revue box has performed much better than the new Sony Box...Not too happy so far!!

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have always thought the Revue is much better than its reputation but if you don't prefer the Sony box yet, I am pretty sure you will soon. There are apparently some early bugs with the Sony NSZ-GS7 but I am confident it will surpass the Revue quickly if it hasn't already, be patient.

8. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks for the reply. I do a clear every day. The one where you clear history, cache and cookies at the same time. My tv isn't far from my router so I always use the ethernet connection. I had read that was faster than wireless. Here is what I did before I got a reply here.

From chrome I went into settings, the stored adobe flash settings and cleared it. Reset the tv again and youtube worked. However, I still think something is wrong. I pretty much can play youtube all I want with no real problems. Saturday night, I spent a couple hours watching videos. And not long ones. Maybe 30-40 2-7 minutes type of videos. Last night, after maybe 20-30 minutes, the system would just freeze. I couldn't do anything on the page. Couldn't go back, couldn't close the window, pretty much nothing except the cntl alt del reset. This happened at least twice, maybe 3 times. Last time I was watching, I got one of those messages about shockwave crashing. It said the following plug in(arrow pointed at youtube) caused shockwave to crash.

I have never, ever, ever gotten that message when I was on youtube. have gotten it on at least one other site that I frequent. There have been times that I'll get the message kill page or wait when the system is really sluggish. But I'm not sure I've ever had happen what happened last night. As slow as it might be going, as sluggish, I can get out of chrome. Last night I couldn't do anything but reset it. Now, I didn't try for 15 minutes. I'll try for maybe 3-5 minutes tops.

Haven't tried anything yet today, but something was different last night.

9. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Another problem that I'd appreciate some help from the more computer literate here. I usually use youtube through chrome, not the google tv app. The last several weeks something has changed. I can still watch youtube through chrome. However, if I go back to watch the video again through history, or if I had bookmarked a specific video, it defaults back to the google tv version of youtube. This was not the case before. It started I'd at most a month ago, I'd say. Before that, if I used the chrome history to watch the video again it would be done through chrome as it had when I first watched it. How do I get it back that way again?

Another question. When I reset the tv(ctl-alt_del), is there any significance to the screen you see when you do that? Sometimes it's yellow, other times it's dark, other times it's a combo of yellow and dark.

10. CatfishRivers

Hi Rick44 - I was having the exact same issue with YouTube. Today everything is working properly. (I'm on the Logitech Revue). I suggest going to settings and "force stop" and "clear data" from both the YouTube app and Chrome app.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  11. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi Rick44. Not to put you off, but I have not got any youtube or google play store to work on my NSZGS7 player. have you changed anything in your router. What make and model of router are you currently use.

12. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Did it work for you? I'll tell ya, the browser is just clunkier than it used to be. Or gets that way quicker than it did. I need to reset it far more than I used to. I shouldn't watch 6-7 youtube videos over half an hour and neec to do ctl alt del because the system has gotten so slow or unresponsive. I've mentioned this before as far as wondering what the memory is for the tv. Youtube links. A lot of times when people post them, at least on one message board I frequent, it's basically a still picture of the video with a play button in the middle of the still picture. Sometimes people will post one after another, maybe 4 or 5 of them in a row. That just locks the system up and causes things like the shockwave crash. Shockwave or whatever it's called. Computer illiterate that I am, that is a memory issue. One of the updates made it better, but it's pretty bad again now.

Delboy, I'm not sure what my router model is. Verizon gave me the router when I got FIOS in 2009. I can find the model if you'd like. I have the 24 inch Sony. Even though I generally don't use the app, I found myself playing around with the settings on the youtube app the other day. I saw that there was an updated version available through the google play store. I didn't get it, but assume it's free?

I did not knowingly change any settings in my router. I was without power for 3 1/2 days several weeks back because of hurricane Sandy. But I believe this issue proceeds that although I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  13. CatfishRivers

Rick44 I'm on the Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) and I'm no longer having the issue of my YouTube videos automatically played back in the app by default. I suggest that you try the following:

Go to your settings and uninstall the current update version of the YouTube app. After you have uninstalled the YouTube update - go to the YouTube web site and select a free movie with the Chrome browser. You should then get the on-screen pop-up to set your default viewing choice of either the YouTube app or Chrome browser. This worked for me on my Logitech Revue. Sorry I'm unable to test it on Sony GTV. Good Luck!

14. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Okay, Catfish, thanks. I'll try it when i get home. I did remeMber one thing, though. Prior to this occurring I now remember that it was giving me a choice. If I selected a youtube video through history it would ask me if I want to view it through chrome or the google tv youtube app. Now it just automatically uses the google tv version. It's been doing it for awhile now.

15. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Forgot to post this last couple days. Catfish, your last bid of advice worked. Thanks.

16. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Yet another question/problem. Seems yesterday that youtube changed the site layout somewhat. Now the videos load a bit off center. You can move the screen to adjust it, but it's a bit of a pain to do it for every video. Now what i find to be a major annoyance. There is now a give feedback box in the lower right hand box of the screen. The onely way I have found to get rid of it is to go full screen. other than that it is ALWAYS there. Was hoping someone like catfish has a solution. edit. Well, just went to youtube after making this post. seems to be back the way it was before yesterday. Let's see if it stays that way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Well, it came back. The new version I mean. For around a week now. I have several questions, but first it is a real pain. The videos load off center. You can't just click and watch. To be clear, I'm talking watching them through the chrome browser. Funny thing happened 2 days ago. For some reason, I can't watch videos period. The dark screen just stayed there. I do the ctl alt del to reset. Go back in and same thing. I try something else. I clear my browsing history first. In the chrome browser from settings. The one that clears everything, history, cache and cookies. Then I do the ctl alt del again. Go back in again, not only can I play videos, I have the pld youtube layout again. Lasted the rest of that day. Yesterday, have the new one again and clearing history and ctl alt del doesn't change it.

I've tried things with the youtube app. Cleared the cache and uninstalled updates, same thing, now change. Btw, how would I reinstall an update that I uninstalled. Is that possible?

I did some searching around and saw a youtube video on how to change it back with a computer. But you need the chrome settings you have on a computer. Video I saw had me use developer tools to install a code. I don't see developer tools anywhere on the google tv chrome browser. It worked with my laptop. I'd like, really like to do the same with the tv.

Anyone have any ideas? Gotta be some way. I just did it, however inadvertently, 2 days ago.

18. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Still trying to find a way to get the old youtube back. I came across another video where you can use a keyboard shortcut to get to developer tools. Shift ctl j. In chrome, I mean. But I tried it with the little google tv remote and nothing happens. Do the keys not correspond with a regular keyboard? Ctl must because there are a number of ctl plus another key shortcuts that I've used with the tv. Like ctl r to reload a page. Anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work with shift ctl j?

19. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I have another problem. Wondering if anyone is having the same problem. I use youtube through the chrome browser, not the app. Last several days/to a week. I'll do a search, within youtube, and constantly get, instead of the results, the chrome reload page. It got so frustrating that I finally did the factory reset that I kept putting off. It was just too much, though. Thing is, even after the reset, it's still doing it. Not on every search, but on a whole lot of them. What is causing this?

Also, how do I change the default text size in chrome? I did it before through settings, but can't seem to figure it out now. All I was able to find was the font size, but it hasn't changed the size display on the sites I go to. Used to be if I had never been to a site before I moght have to enlarge the text the first time I went there, but once I had enlarged it once it was fine on subsequent visits. It's not happening now.

Forget the question about the reload. Browsing around in other threads I see everyone has the problem. Still curious about the text size, though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  20. CatfishRivers

Apparently Google has recently made some kind of change to the YouTube web site and it is giving GTV devices fits. There is a thread about this issue here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html