Quantcast

Youtube Pausing?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by BobinVA, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I'm having trouble watching Youtube videos on my 24" Sony Google TV.

Many times the videos will play for 15 seconds,pause,play 15 seconds more,etc.

What do you think might be causing this? I've already written to Sony;they think it might be related to internet connection speed rather than a problem with the "supported" application. (Youtube)

It sure is annoying to have so much pausing of the videos.

Any suggestions?

BobinVA

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    What is your download speed ? HD needs a minimum 4 Mbps broadband speed, by default Yotube Leanback will play HD and youtube.com will play HD when in full screen. There are some people who think there might be a software problem with WiFi, if so lets hope the 3.1 update will help with that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Thanks,Lucas,for mentioning required speed.

I'm not too computer literate.

My base unit,a Mac Mini 2007,will play Youtube videos just fine. Therefore,i'm positive I have enough speed since the
    Google TV is feeding off of that connection via wireless router.

Maybe it's some type of software problem on Sony's end that they're not acknowledging

I've received 2 software updates for Google TV since buying same in late May of this year. What's the 3.1 update?

Bob

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Head to www.speedtest.net from your GTV browser, and it should tell you what kind of speeds you are getting...

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cruddell001

Cruddell001 New Member

If you can, directly wire your Google TV into your modem/router via ethernet cable. It will be quicker than a wifi connection.

The 3.1 update is a major update to the software, changing how everything looks and feels. I haven't noticed any speed increases with it, but that's not to say they didn't happen (I didn't really have slow-down issues before, so hard for me to tell).

• Like Like x 2
  6. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Cruddell,

Can't directly wire my Google TV into the modem or router because my Dish Network cable is in the bedroom and my Mac Mini and router are in the family room.

That probably would work and I thank you but I'd rather have all of my equipment (Dish@,DVD/VCR player,tv,router,and computer) working.

• Like Like x 2
  7. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

You could run a power line adapter (basically, use your household power outlets to extend your wired network)?

8. volwrath

volwrath New Member

I have a brand new Revue and Im getting the same thing on one video: Anathema - Dreaming Light. Could someone else test this and see if it pauses for them? I see no real reason that it should be paused. I am wired in and getting 33Mbps down and 4Mbps up.

Besides that I love my new toy..I think I will use it for my videos even more than myps3 and xbox :p

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I noticed that youtube videos are finicky with the google tv I have. If they are popular or have been on youtube, usally they take forever to play. Also depending on the time of day also seems to affect the playing of the videos as well.

Of course I only have a 6 meg connection not 33 like you :) If you like music videos I suggest you try the Vevo app on your revue :) Lot's of great videos in full screen to occupy your time if you let it :)

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I usually find the blame on the Revue always trying to pull the 720/1080 HD version, in addition to YouTube's distribution being spotty for popular videos. However, you should verify that's the same scenario with your PC/Mac otherwise you might be seeing a different issue. As a work around try using the setting for "Formatted for personal computers" instead of the Leanback "Formatted for TV". That way you can adjust incoming video resolution to a lower resolution.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Eferz,

Tried the setting "Formatted for PC" with my Google TV with some of the Youtube videos that I've seen before. That
    setting greatly reduces the pausing problem. There now are many videos that can play themselves straight thru.

Why that particular setting works,I have no idea.

Thanks for the workaround,Eferz! Maybe this is some software problem with Sony.

Bob

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's actually a YouTube problem, I don't think their distribution scales well when there are too many people watching the same video at HD (720/1080) resolutions. So, when you're using the "PC Experience" you may alter the player setting for lower resolutions in the lower right hand size. I think the resolution defaults to "360p" in the "Formatted for PC" setting, where as the Google Leanback experience is always trying to use either the 720p or 1080p.

13. volwrath

volwrath New Member

Actually I noticed the same thing (Thanks for the advice btw). I switch to 'classic' youtube and it streams perfectly at 720P. When I maximize the 360p, it auto jumps to highest resolution ie 720/1080p. I don't get it... Oh and Bob, I am seeing the same thing with Leanback on my revue, so I think it is a Leanback issue. Perhaps some additional overhead somewhere..Maybe it doesnt buffer the same as classic youtube i dont know.

Too bad because leanback is 10x easier to navigate. Perhaps this is an issue that will be fixed in honeycomb :)

Edit: also found that if you google search youtube leanback buffering, you get alot of boxee box people complaining about the same issue...

Edit2: I wonder if leanback uses html5 vs flash for regular?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can use the Google TV's user agent, "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U: Linux i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.127 Large Screen Safari/533.4 GoogleTV/b39389", to see that YouTube's Leanback still uses Flash plug-in for http://youtube.com/leanback

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011