Quantcast

YouTube Now Supports 60FPS Playback, And Video Games Look Amazing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 30, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube now supports 60fps playback and video games look amazing The Verge (click for full article)

By Chris Welch on October 29, 2014 05:46 pm @chriswelch

-- You've never watched YouTube quite like this: today the company began rolling out support for higher video frame rates like 60fps. We've seen movie trailers and other special clips appear with higher fps counts before, but now it works for regular user uploads, too. To see the smoother motion, you'll need to be watching in either 720p or 1080p HD. Both Chrome and Safari 8 worked fine in our tests, but we're seeing mixed results with mobile browsers. Once you hit play, the difference is immediate and hugely noticeable — especially when you're watching video game footage.

There are plenty of situations where faster frame rates can make a huge difference, but it's easy to spot the upgrade with gaming content.

Read more at: YouTube now supports 60fps playback and video games look amazing The Verge

Mario Circuit - 1:44.414 - Kαzυσ (Mario Kart 8 World Record) 60FPS WITH CHROME:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I tried streaming the above Mario Circuit video in 720P with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue and it didn't work. Just a black screen with the circle spinning around but the video never started. It does work in 360P with Chrome on my Logitech Revue - but according to the article 360P isn't at the 60FPS.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

It works for the first 11 seconds on the GS7, then buffers and stays that way.

However, the linked examples of YouTube 60fps that commentators' posted on The Verge, worked great in the YouTube app.

The problem is that videos played right off this site will suck. I asked the administration, when the re-did the software of this site, if they could just have videos linked, and not play from this site, but of course they ignored the question.