Quantcast

YouTube Gets Guide Update, One Step Closer To Being A TV Outlet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube Gets Guide Update, One Step Closer To Being A TV Outlet - HotHardware (click for full update)

Friday, December 07, 2012 - by Ray Willington

"For the past year or so, YouTube has made a pretty concerted effort to act a lot more like a proper TV outlet, and less like an outlet for goofy cat videos. Of course, goofy cat videos will always feel at home on YouTube, but parent company Google is seriously hoping to make it more than that. This week, YouTube expanded on its Guide efforts. When you add subscriptions to your Guide, you organize YouTube around what you like, available whenever you watch YouTube. Now, the company is taking the next step by bringing your subscription-filled Guide with you across both the site and all devices.

It's a bold move, and one that makes clear that YouTube is going head-to-head with every other digital content portal on the web. Users can just subscribe to your favorite channels and the Guide lets you know when there are new videos waiting for you to enjoy, suggests the latest and greatest channels you might like, and shows you what your friends are sharing across the web. You'll also find the Guide and your subscriptions on apps across hundreds of millions of devices including Android, iPhone, Playstation 3, Google TV and more.

It certainly sets the stage for a bolder, more populated YouTube. Who knows; maybe we're on our way to having YouTube as a cable channel. Now wouldn't that be something?"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

YouTube is already the best content source for my cord cutting solution. Between YouTube and Hulu, I must get about 75% of my streaming now. The Google TV YouTube app makes it so much easier for me to find what I want to watch so an improvement in the guide probably won't mean much to me.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I love YouTube - but I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the GTV YouTube app. I find it easier to navigate and discover content from the YouTube web site with the Chrome browser.

Also one of my big beefs with the YouTube app is that there is no way to jump to any video in a playlist. Once a playlist is selected - it will only play the first video in the list - and then each other video in the playlist will only play in sequential order. No way to skip forward.

Another gripe I have with it is that the "automatically adjusting playback for internet speed" function doesn't work very well for me. When I have that option checked - videos will start out in HD then shift to SD. However after I uncheck the box I can play an entire video in HD. I also notice that videos from the YouTube web site (with Chrome browser) - that won't play because they require Flash 11 - also won't play in the YouTube app - so no extra benefit in that regard.

I will say that playback seems to be smoother in the app compared to the web site - I haven't had any freeze-ups or shockwave crashes when viewing videos through the app (occasionally I get glitches when using the YouTube web site with Chrome). So what I do is search for a free movie on YouTube web site with Chrome - and then watch the movie through the app.

On the Google Play Store web site - apparently quite a few users of the GTV YouTube app are in general agreement with my overall assessment. As the app has 323 user reviews and a 'not-so-great rating' of only 2.8 stars (out of a possible 5 stars):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC55b3V0dWJlLmdvb2dsZXR2Il0.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I agree with catfish rivers. The discovery section does not help me at all. The web app is much much better.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I look at recommendations, subscriptions new additions, add any wanted titles to watch later and go from there. I can't imagine anything could be easier and with several other YouTube apps with various devices none of the others are used.