Quantcast

YouTube For Google TV Rises From The Dead, Actually Receives An Update

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 20, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube For Google TV Rises From The Dead, Actually Receives An Update (click for full article)

by Bertel King Jr. - March 20, 2014

-- Last month YouTube for Google TV vanished from the Play Store like a vampire slain by Lincoln himself, quietly fading from public view, seen only by those who had previously downloaded it and already knew of its existence. But like the immortal being that it is, YouTube has risen back from the dead. Not only that, it's stronger, having now received a relatively minor update to version 1.7.5.

The update doesn't introduce much in the way of new features. There's no new interface, for example. Instead, we see customizable closed captions and improved stability.

What's new:
    -- Customizable closed captions, with better support of remote control
    -- SafeSearch now respects system-wide settings
    -- Improved stability while playing Watch Later videos

What really matters here is that the app is back, and Google still seems to care. Now is not yet the time for Google TV to go quietly into the night.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

It fixed "Watch Later" for me. I give the update 5 stars.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am always reluctant to install a YouTube app update, I still like the app from several updates back but I will give this new update a chance soon.

5. CatfishRivers

I was finally able to get the recent version of YouTube (1.7.5) downloaded on my Logitech Revue.

It seems to work pretty good. My download speed is only 3.5 mbps - however the YouTube videos played fine in HD. I didn't experience the "switching to lower bandwidth" problem mentioned on the recent GTV YouTube reviews on Google Play. I'm connected directly to modem by ethernet (no router).

However the big bugaboo for me is that quite a few music videos in my playlists don't play and have the message: "The content owner hasn't made this video available for mobile".

Also some of those same videos cause the dreaded "Aw Snap!" error when I try to view them from the YouTube web site with the GTV Chrome browser.

The same videos will play flawlessly from the PS3 YouTube web app with the GTV Chrome browser. As an added bonus the PS3 YouTube web app doesn't have any ads in the videos. I'm sure Google would not be too thrilled about GTV users utilizing a PS3 YouTube app without ads - so if they want GTV uers not to defect away from 'officially sanctioned' YouTube services with ads - then Google needs to fix the darn thing. Until then I'll continue to use the PS3 YouTube app that works like a charm without ads ... Thank you very much -;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Another thing that I noticed since the YouTube update is that the horizontal "Channels" list now has labeling on each Channel on your list. Before, the individual Channels graphics would display any and all variety. Meaning, as you scrolled through the list, one channel might have a still photo from the channel and another may just be a blue colored blank, etc, and there was no way to identify a particular channel as you're scrolling along, most of the time (sometimes you might just happen to recognize the still photo, or the name of the channel might coincidentally appear in the graphic); you had to stop scrolling to click and open it to see which Channel you were actually clicking.

Now, there is a "channel label" at the bottom of each graphic for each channel, regardless of the graphic (or lack of graphic) displayed.

• Like Like x 2