Quantcast

YouTube Finally, Finally, Finally Gets A Channel On Roku 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube Finally, Finally, Finally Gets A Channel On Roku 3 | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Ryan Lawler - Dec. 17, 2013

-- Mark this up as one of those things that we've been waiting for forever and had to happen at some point: YouTube announced today that it's launched a channel on Roku streaming devices. Well, one Roku streaming device at least. The new YouTube app is available on Roku 3 devices in the U.S., Canada, U.K., and Republic of Ireland. And it provides fun stuff like HD streaming and the ability to control the YouTube app with your mobile phone.

2. CatfishRivers

Here is a link to the Roku YouTube announcement from the official Roku blog:

Introducing YouTube on Roku 3 | The Official Roku Blog (click for full blog)

by Ed Lee - Dec. 17, 2013

-- This season through our Moxkat Grvida video ads we're celebrating the art of self-gifting so it seems especially appropriate that today we are gifting ourselves - and by extension all of you - the gift of a YouTube channel on Roku. YouTube is available now on the Roku 3 player in the U.S. Canada, U.K. and the Republic of Ireland. The channel is expected to be available on additional player models next year.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Funny to read all of the whining from owners of the older models which don't yet have a YouTube channel. It is always amazing to me what people expect and will whine about when they don't get it. If some of the older models are capable of running a YouTube channel that meets Google requirements, I would think it will happen eventually but the fact the much more powerful Roku 3 gets the channel first isn't anything to whine about in my opinion. If none of the older models ever get it, so what? How am I owed anything new with the old models?

4. CatfishRivers

Chris do you have the Roku 3 YouTube update? And if so how does it compare to the GTV YouTube app? Thanks.....

5. ChrisG8

I only have the Roku 2 XS and Roku LT, older models so no YouTube Roku app is available to me. I expect the Roku YouTube channel to be really good, consistent with most other Roku channels but I haven't read anything about how well it works yet. I am happy with the YouTube and Frequency apps on Google TV, both are used often for the things I watch from YouTube which is quite a lot as a cord cutter and fan of old public domain movies, comedy and music videos.

I do think that the Roku 3 is a great little streaming box and if I didn't already have the older Roku models which are almost as good, I would sure buy one.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It's just one of those touchy subjects like PlayOn's upgrade policies. Roku has had various "unofficial" YouTube channels over the years, and it seems they all eventually get taken down. It's been really frustrating for Roku users who are simply stuck in the middle of whatever has been going on between Roku and YouTube's legal departments.

7. ChrisG8

I don't think it is complicated, I believe the older Roku models are lacking in processing power and a channel that can meet Google requirements, meaning run the ads primarily, is very difficult or impossible. Roku hasn't been able to develop an acceptable channel or isn't willing to spend the money to do it, which will have no return on investment. The unofficial YouTube channels were crap, at least what I have seen.

Touchy subject? Not in my opinion, there was no official Roku YouTube channel and no promise of a YouTube channel from Roku, if someone bought a Roku expecting an official YouTube channel, I say they have nobody to blame but themselves and nothing to complain about if it doesn't happen.

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

End users don't care who delivers them the content, just that they had it, and then it was taken away. I don't recall anyone complaining about the unofficial channels. Heck, how many unofficial YouTube apps are there in the Android play store? Google controls that, and they don't seem to care.

9. ChrisG8

• Like Like x 2
  10. ChrisG8

My Roku 2XS just got a YouTube channel today, not sure when it first became available but I know it is very recent. I assume it is also available for my other Roku model, the Roku LT.