Quantcast

youtube app... workarounds

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Maverich40, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Maverich40

Maverich40 New Member

Seems it is never possible to simply directly launch Youtube app, goto "Watch Later" queue and start watching!
    Absolutely every single time IT CRASHES.

Now: launch Chrome, goto Bookmark for your Youtube Watch Later queue, select an item, and manually select
    youtube app to watch it in... and PRESTO! for some aggravating reason the youtube dedicated app (or a lite version of it)
    decides it can now stream that same identical video you tried to launch directly! Makes no sense!

Sometimes you can use Search engine, or attempt to stream something randomly selected after directly launching standalone
    youtube app, THEN it _might_ allow itself to run a video from Watch Later or a PlayList... really foolish how it behaves.

Once again we find it annoying that for as long as Vizio's Co-Star has been out, and googletv in general (androidtv) there
    has never been introduction of a NASA-TV application! It is very frustrating trying to use stupid Chrome for watching anything
    NASA-related because of the severe and growing wider flash incompatibility issues! HD Video, its streaming format, protocols,
    or whatever seemed to be much more demanding lately, making it nearly impossible to expect to be able to watch a rocket
    launch or NASA-TV conference... There are a number of websites dedicated to these live video streams, it is not just the NASA url's we are being kept from.
    I actually forsee a day when AndroidTV Chrome will no longer even be able to stream Google+Hangouts!

Usually, using Chrome, you might get video to "lock in", after about 8 tries, but then Audio cuts itself off only a moment into it. Another 8 tries and it might work for awhile before crashing.

I realize its just rehashing same complaints over and over;
    but having to launch Chrome to invoke the stand alone youtube app before it can successfully play a video is tedious, and then
    locks you out of the normal standalone youtube apps other functions! It's like getting a subset of that youtube app; or a "lite version" of it. Yet, Launch youtube app MANUALLY after launching Chrome, and sometimes that works to run a video from 'Watch Later'. Point being there seems to be some serious of steps that can be done that seems to help these applications operate better. Wonder if anyone has tried to write down what works for them consistently, and shared these steps.

Hope some of you can have a good Christmas...some of us are having to struggle with whatever stupidity faith has decided to
    dish out to us...

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Do you have the recent YouTube update? The newest version is 1.7.3 and it was released on November 21st.

3. Maverich40

Maverich40 New Member

Yes, it says 1.7.3 Nov 21st, 2013

It ALWAYS fails now, there is NEVER a time that you can go directly into youtube aplet and directly to "Watch Later", no matter what is selected
    there, a "FORCE QUIT" is guaranteed to occur!

You can always tell it will fail: that silly blue rotating circular animation starts becoming very sluggish, that tells you it will fail right away!

Launch Chrome, go to your youtube 'Watch Later' queue from there, and presto! most times that works fine; then you get this scaled down
    like version of youtube app apparently. At least it inherits your entire Watch Later queue...

ALSO: Lack of NASA-TV support and various space-launch/conference video/audio links should be addressed by developers. Hint. :)

I do have other devices for youtube; I don't have to waste my time with Costar for that, but it's all integrated with other apps I use.

//Maverich//

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen the Force Close in Youtube until I got the update. Really retro update. I just wish Google would stop updating until they break things.