Quantcast

YouTube App- Error Message

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Travel, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

Anyone happen to have an explanation for the error message in the YouTube app of:

"Network bandwidth too low, switching to low quality"?

I know this has been discussed, but I'm not clear about the exact reason for this error message, or the solution, if possible. Meaning, the source of the problem: FiOS bandwidth, the app itself, Youtube in general or the individual video itself, etc.?

I called Logitech about it, and they suggested calling FiOS to have them open some ports. Logitech e-mailed to me the ports numbers.

FiOS said they don't do that and gave me the router's site address for adding the ports, myself. I looked this site over, but it wasn't intuitive for doing this, by any means.

I called the Actiontech router tech help, and they have a tape stating that there has to be a FiOS-tech initiated conference call to proceed with any router configurations.

This is not going well, and I'm not at all sure if "ports adding" has anything to do with the Youtube app's error message in the first place

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I believe there is a setting within the YouTube app for disabling the automatic switch to low quality. Try checking the settings.

Also you could try setting a static IP or setting your router to bridge mode.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks, but without the auto-switch to low quality setting, a video will just keep jamming, anyway. So, the auto-switch is actually preferred, as at least the video can be automatically continued (although at a lower quality.

I'm mostly interested in what exactly causes the the video to be unable to continue in high quality playback for certain videos. In other words, when the error message states "bandwidth network too low", is it referring to my FiOS provider? Or is the problem stemming from the individual video, etc.

The thing is, I get 15mbps from FiOS, and the upload speed tests at about 26mbps on the internet test sites. So that should be plenty enough speed for the higher quality video.
    Some high quality videos on the YouTube app work fine, and some get that error message and shifts down to the lower quality play.

Also, if anyone has an explanation of what "opening ports" is all about it would be interesting to hear about that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO there is an issue with the YouTube app interacting with your router. Are you connected to internet by WiFi or ethernet? Is there any way you can test this without a router in your set-up (as a troubleshooting measure)?

I know you have a Logitech Revue but on the Sony web site they posted some good Wi-Fi/router tips for GTV:

View Document

• Like Like x 2
  5. Travel

Travel Active Member

My set-up is with ethernet to a FiOS "phone router." It may well be the YouTube app, itself, as you say, because there are no problems streaming HD on Netflix, etc.
    I've tried "delete data/cache" uninstalling/installing the YouTube app of course, but the same problem still occurs.

6. jschall

jschall Member

There is an app, "Network Monitor Mini" in the Android market that I have installed on all my Android devices, and sideloaded onto my SONY NSZ-GS7. It displays the instantaneous download and upload speeds as tiny text in the corner of the screen. It would be useful for you to see at what rate Youtube is streaming when it declares "Not enough bandwidth". Compare that with the speed that Netflix acheives, or streaming inside your LAN. It may be that your FiOs router has to be configured especially to open more tcp/udp ports for the Youtube app, in which case you'll have to deal with an informed FiOs tech.

Good luck, Travel!

Update: I'm in Canada, maybe YouTube hasn't implemented the automatic switching here. But I tried monitoring the HD Hangover III Trailer on my GTV. It initially streamed at 6.1 Mb/s from my 5.5 Mb/s Bell Canada Internet connection. Then it settled down to between 1 and 2 Mb/s for the rest of the video.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks. The problem is that FiOS doesn't/won't configure to open ports. The FiOS tech that I talked to gave me the router site URL where I could try doing it myself. However, the Actiontech router tech service won't do any configuring unless there's a conference call with them, me and a FiOS tech. The thing is, Logitech tech service e-mailed me the ports numbers that should be open for the Youtube app, but there doesn't seem to be a way of actually getting that done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Dang, that would really annoy me. I hate Verizon. But would love to try out their FIOS. Alas, it isn't available in my area. But that doesn't stop em from sending agents to my apartment complex to convince us to switch to Verizon. When I tell em it's not available here they respond by offering me their DSL service. Geeze, why not suggest I go back to the bleak days of Dial/up.

Downgrade to enjoy Verizon, yeah, right...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cassy

Cassy New Member

I noticed mine was doing that too. Automically switching to a lower quality. Once I put the videos on a higher quality I've had no problems.

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Do you mean by saying: "Once I put the videos on a higher quality I've had no problems" that you click the "HD" button that's located at the top of the YouTube app? That would give an "HD only" search return which, although it eliminates SD returns, would be somewhat of a "workaround" if the higher quality "HD mode" of the app didn't trigger the error message and played the higher quality video without interruption.