Quantcast

Youtube Android problem

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jschall, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jschall

jschall Member

This is a problem that exists on up-to-date Android Youtube, but NOT on Google TV with Android 3.2.

With SOME videos, like this film I just rented:

"They Call It Myanmar: Lifting The Curtain"

Trying to play it on my Chromecast from my Samsung tablet, or on my EQUISO TV Stick, I get the error:
    "This video can only be played on newer versions of Android or other supported devices"

But on my SONY NSZ-GS7 it plays beautifully.

And no problem on the Web version of Youtube on my Windows PC, with Chrome browser.

Other people have had the same problem with other films.

I searched that error on Youtube Help with no results.

This seems to be related to the parameters (resolution, etc.) and the latest versions (since February 2015) of the Android Youtube app.

Have any of you seen this problem on any of your Youtube platforms?

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

In a general sense, a lot of YouTube app error messages have never made any sense. I have music videos saved in the YouTube app (Sony GS7) that played fine for months, and then go "black screen" with error msesages like: "not available in your country" or "Content owner has not allowed this video on mobile." But then, those same videos can be played on the YouTube website and/or the "Soul Movie TV" player app.

In other words, from my experience, you can't always take the error message wording, literally, with regard to discovering the problem

It could be the particular content that you're trying to play that's screwing things up, or the system just doesn't recognize your Samsung tablet properly; a lot things , but I wouldn't count on what the error message reads as a clue.