Quantcast

You Tube App - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Aug 30, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

My number one suggestion would be an option in settings to enable the App to open to a users personal favorite part of the App. So when I launch the App I would like to be immediately taken to my New From Subscriptions section as this is by far my favorite part of this App. Other users might like the Rentals Section set to be the default launch point for the App as I would from time to time.

Also instead of having to navigate to the Subscribe to channel option I would like to see a keyboard shortcut option enabled ie FN + S or make the FN +Star Button an instant subscribe/unsubscribe to channel button when the App is launched in full screen it would revert away from the DVR record function in favor of this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I would like to be able to choose a video quality to always stream in. This works in YouTube.com but not the Youtube app. I can only stream shows in 360.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hmmm, the way the App is supposed to work is that it starts out streaming in HD and then automatically drops down to a lower resolution if your internet connection is too slow. I would try reinstalling the App to see if that helps, please post your internet speed here, and run a speed test.
    ]
    '

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is my understanding as well but I don't know for a fact the app does a perfect job of identifying the proper resolution and proper bitrate to be using according to your internet speed. I was using my PS3 for Hulu Plus last night and decided to watch something using the PS3 YouTube app, I didn't like it at all, the Google TV YouTube app is my favorite of all of the choices I have for YouTube. I wish Google TV had the PS3 Hulu Plus, Vudu and Amazon apps but you can't seem to get everything in one box, not even close unfortunately.

I am happy with the YouTube app as is and can't think of improvements but will certainly welcome any improvements others can come up with and get implemented.

5. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

While yes the YouTube app does drop down to a lower quality. I would rather have it stream the resolution I already set it at in my YouTube account settings.

I only have 1mbps connection. Sometimes I will just go to Youtube.com because it automatically starts streaming at 360. Also why I don't like the Redux app. No way to set streaming resolution.

6. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Being hard-of-hearing,closed captioning of videos is important to me.

The web version of YouTube offers more captioning options than the Google TV version. The web version has an option to turn closed captioning on or off (assuming the video has captions) and a transcription option for word-by-word transcribing.

If Google TV's YouTube app came "up to speed" with its web cousin on the closed captioning issue,that would make my day.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hey Polardude, I have a 5mb internet connection and it seems to be the bare minimum required for HD to play almost flawlessly with thw You Tube App. I do get the occasional buffering and drop down to SD however yet the Movie Rentals are stellar and I could not be more pleased in this regard.

Hey Robin, It would be nice if they made this an option in settings for this App.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. LES017

LES017 New Member

What I'd really like are these 2 things : 1) indication in the app of "watched" and 2) that watching a video will at LEAST register as watched when back on the website. I find this second one amazing, especially since the Android phone app does this.

• Like Like x 2
  9. chopper

chopper Active Member

Would also like to have the ability to copy and paste a link to a You Tube Video from the App to chrome for sharing interesting content.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  10. callanish

callanish Member

This might seem like a shot in the dark answer, but doesn't pressing Ctrl C ( copy ) and Ctrl V ( paste ) on the keyboard allow you to copy and paste links from one app to another?

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

Callanish, that doesn't work! I have tried the down button on the D-pad and +1 but I am not sure how that works. I even signed up for a +1 accounf and when I plus one a You Tube Video it doesn't appear in my +1 account.

12. callanish

callanish Member

Sorry, I was speaking as a revue owner, not a co-star owner, yet, and with logitech's large keyboard, it actually can copy and paste that way. Here's hoping there's a solution to this through the co-star.

13. chopper

chopper Active Member

I can't get that to work from the You Tube App to Chrome on the Revue but I can with the You Tube web site.

14. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I would like to be able to post a comment on a video while watching the video at the same time.

• Like Like x 2