Quantcast

Yotube Crashing

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mardukeme, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Saw that you could watch David Blaine's new stunt on youtube live. Guess what can't get it to work on my Sony nsz-gs7 Chrome is having a hard time loading the page, an never fully loads or it crashes.Wonder if it happens to anyone else.

Here is the link: YouTube.com/electrified

Ironic how Google's own site does not work on their product. I tried reloading the page and received an error stating shockwave flash has crashed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

With GTV it is best to use the youtube app on the home page.Click the search icon(magnifying glass) second from the bottom.With all the news of adobe not supporting flash for android devices the app is the best way to use youtube.As most liked using our chrome browser, the recent updates to the app has made our units compatible with the site.Once you get used to doing youtube through the app you'll find out it's not that bad. Mike

3. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

With GTV it is best to use the youtube app on the home page.Click the search icon(magnifying glass) second from the bottom.With all the news of adobe not supporting flash for android devices the app is the best way to use youtube.As most liked using our chrome browser, the recent updates to the app has made our units compatible with the site.Once you get used to doing youtube through the app you'll find out it's not that bad. Mike Just tried it using the app and all played fine even the ones in HD!

• Like Like x 2
  4. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I usually use the browser version (Chrome) of YouTube because it allows for more closed captioning options. I'm hard of hearing.

I previously had a lot of buffering while trying to play videos on YouTube. Fixed that with a range extender to boost my WiFi signal. Can now play all except those in HD.

I heard on Google+ there's also YouTube XL,which gives good picture quality on Google TV. Like the app version of YouTube,it doesn't offer closed captioning. Have you tried You Tube XL,Marduk?

I hope you solve your playability issues.

BobinVA

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up about YouTube XL. For the videos that it plays it works good (my internet download speed is only 3.2 mbps and I can watch the videos in HD). However I found that many of the videos that would normally be available through the regular web site (with Chrome browser) are "not available" through YouTube XL. This is primarily things such as some of the full free movies....... For instance the movies from Crackle say not available with YouTube XL.

6. CatfishRivers

Mike thanks for your input. I was wondering if ALL of the same videos that can be played from the regular YouTube web site (with Chrome browser) will also work with the GTV app? See my post above about YouTube XL not working with a lot of the free movies. Unfortunately my Logitech Revue was one of the ones that shipped with corrupt firmware from the factory - and as such I'm unable to update to the most recent 3.2 OS Update. I'm stuck on the 3.1 OS update. With the 3.1 update these free movies as well as live YouTube videos don't work with my YouTube app. Neither does movie rentals. But I think more functionality was added to the YouTube app with the 3.2 update.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to a free movie that won't work with the regular YouTube web site (with Chrome browser) - as I get a message to update my Flash when I try to play it with Chrome browser.

Also there is no way for me to play this free movie in my YouTube app with my Logitech Revue on the 3.1 OS update.

Are you able to play this movie with the YouTube app (with the current 3.2 OS update)???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. CatfishRivers

Another thing that can be tried to improve crashing and load times is a beta version called "YouTube feather" and also the beta for the HTML5 version of YouTube. You can find these versions at YouTube testtube. Here's the link:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This is what YouTube says about YouTube feather:

"Feather" Beta

This is an opt-in beta for "Feather" support on YouTube. The "Feather" project is intended to serve YouTube video watch pages with the lowest latency possible. It achieves this by severely limiting the features available to the viewer and making use of advanced web techniques for reducing the total amount of bytes downloaded by the browser. It is a work in progress and may not work for all videos.

Your comments will help us improve and perfect the mixtures we're working on. So jump in, play around, and send your feedback directly to the brains behind the scenes."

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

I couldn't find the live David Blaine feeds in the YouTube app even sucribe d to the channel, but couldn't find either of the 3 live feeds.

I guess the page is very flash heavy, but workes fine on my Galaxy S3. When i get back home i will give the Youtube xl page a try.

Thanks every one for the suggestions. Also i never had a problem streaming anything else before.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

9. CatfishRivers

I'm able to find and play a recorded video (it's approx. 4 minutes in length) of the David Blaine live performance with YouTube XL - but none of the actual "Live" feeds from the regular YouTube site show up with YouTube XL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think part of the issue is DRM (digital rights management) - some of the better "premium" stuff on YouTube is not licensed to be viewed directly via TV screen.

Also Flash 11 added the feature of DRM for mobile devices. So some of the content providers are upgrading to Flash 11 as a means to protect their content through DRM. That's why none of the homemade "cat" videos are in Flash 11 - it's been the better quality video content that is slowly upgrading more and more to Flash 11 on YouTube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every video that I try to play from the regular YouTube site (with Chrome browser) that requires Flash 11 - won't play in YouTube XL. When attempting to play I get the "not available message". Here is another example. I used to love watching the Scottish Television videos on GTV before they updated to Flash 11:

Can somebody check to see if that video above can be played in the GTV YouTube app (with the current 3.2 OS update)? I'm unable to test it. But IMO if it won't play in the YouTube app - then it's just another example of GTV having crippled functionality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  10. CatfishRivers

I just tried Dailymotion and the live David Blaine feed is working good on my Logitech Revue right now. Typical of Google though - that with GTV devices it works way better with Dailymotion than it does on YouTube. IMO this does not put forward to the public the notion that Google considers GTV as an important priority.......... Quite the contrary -:(

Dailymotion - Watch, publish, share videos (you'll see the links for the Virgin Free Mobile Fest prominantly on top of page)

[video=dailymotion;xu3apz]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu3apz_electrified-one-million-volts-always-on-official-teaser_people[/video] (this is the link directly to the David Blaine live feed on Dailymotion)

Works great with my Logitech Revue.......

So why is it so difficult for Google to make this work well with GTV on YouTube?????? I just tried the David Blaine feed on YouTube with my Revue and got a Shockwave crash. Also it's very sluggish and slow to load through YouTube with GTV.

11. CatfishRivers

Seems like spam to me and off-topic here........

There is "Project Free TV" thread on the forum where users post links to all kinds of video content. I think that would be the appropriate thread for letting us know about your videos.