Quantcast

Yes a usb movie problem - please help guys

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by googletvuser, Jun 16, 2012.

1. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

Hello I had google tv for 6 months.

I used be able simply plug my usb in to watch movie via google tv "media player".

Now when I plug it in it just goes to internal memory even though it "recognizes" usb.

I have read the usb and media player threads here for hours now, nothing helps.

Yes I plugged usb in as tv was off. Turned it on, says thumb drive "found", went to gtv media player, took me to internal memory.

Yes I plugged usb in all 4 ports, nothing.

Yes I made sure usb thumb stick was formatted using fat 32.

Yes there is only 1 avi movie I want to watch on tv. Nothing.

I was very embarrassed by this as I have guests over, they are watching movie on computer but they should be watching it on google tv.

Can anyone help?

Did the new youtube download or a new auto download destroy the usb option in my google tv because I see many people complaining of same problem ?

At this point I'm ready to pay $100 for a service tech or throw remote against wall !!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

Also I used 3 different thumb sticks and 3 different avi movies, that isn't problem obviously my google tv won't accept usb no more.
    Facepalm, I really hope you guys can help me, I might be able to save my little party going on here.
    Thx.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Try the usb stick with only one movie on it. I noticed mine was having the same problem and I think it was from reading all the stuff I had on the usb stick really slowly as at one point I just let my tv sit with the usb stick in it and went to exit the gtv program and saw that the tv had read the contents of the usb stick but it was so slow that it was annoying.

If the stick works fast with just one movie then you know that too many movies or tv shows are overloading it.

Also try moving all your movies off the stick and erasing the lost.dir or re-formatting the stick before trying it with just one movie as well.

What type of google tv are you using as I am using a 32 inch sony google tv and just moved a few tv shows over on a blank usb stick and was able to play it fine with GTVBox Video Player. I can test the mediaplayer that comes with the device as well but like I said previously GTVBox seemed not to work when I had my thumb drive almost fully loaded with shows.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

Yes I had only one avi movie on usb.

Yup I reformatted again in fat 32.

I use a typical sony 40" google tv you see in stores.

Still nothing.

It reads usb is plugged in via on screen tv says usb found for 5 seconds, but when I goto "media player" only internal memory comes up.

I cannot access movie threw sony google tv "media player" like I could before.

Like I said I used multiple usbs in multiple ports just for testing, and nothing.

Worked perfect before.

I am really frustrated over this.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  5. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

Wow, I expected help in the help section as there are 30 users online in this help section.

So...can anyone help me ?

6. GertBFrobe

GertBFrobe New Member

I have this exact same problem as you describe, googletvuser. And like you, I have tried ever conceivable "problem-solving" technique (including "did you reboot the system???") Yes. From what I can tell, this seems to be a usability issue that came along with what I'm assuming was an apparent critical update that the user has no control over. For all the bells and whistles that sold me on this unit, this TV is starting to be a big, expensive disappointment.

7. GertBFrobe

GertBFrobe New Member

Additionally, this issue started at approximately the exact time that you mentioned it, with the EXACT same quirks leading up to it. And, I had friends over to watch a movie. Are you sure you're not me? :confused:

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Have you tried purchasing GTVBox Video player and using it - You have 15 minutes after purchase to refute the purchase if it does not work if your in the U.S. I think. That is what I used to test my videos with as I don't like the mediaplayer that comes with google tv.

9. dharris9311

dharris9311 Member

This may sound silly but, have you pressed down on the home key button and click on the "select device" tab?

10. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

Just want to mention again, I have the typical sony 42" google tv you see common in stores now.

Yes D Harris, when you hold home key in it takes you to "notifications/recent app" it shows usb is there like "sync usb-1044.gt.5" (name of usb I guess) but you can only access usb at "media player" which now just takes me to internal memory only, which it shouldn't, it should show usb info LIKE IT USED TO.

Also I don't see the "select device" tab, it now says "unplug device safely" that's all it says . But yes it shows my usb is there in gtv, but who cares, both me and gtv knows it's plugged in ha ha, but I want to access usb and watch my movie.

To other members yes all the "format usb to fat32, reinstall tv system, did you try different usb and movies, only put 1 avi on usb and try, try other usb ports, keep usb in gtv for hours, turn off tv then restart, erase dv.lost files, do this, do that" tricks in ALL OTHER usb threads I saw here...simply don't work. I believe the problem was caused by last automatic update last week.

Hopefully this thread can actually help people if we can find out how to get usb to work like it once did.

What is "GTVBox Video player" is that a physical device or google tv app device ? How do I d/l it on gtv ? If my googletv can no longer read or access usb I don't see how this can help me - but please explain, does it "overide" gtv media player ? Because media player IS THE ONLY WAY GTV ACCESSES A USB. Like I said gtv knows my usb there, but doesn't access it no more, obviously there is a bug that only points users to internal memory and not both external and internal. Updates messed my, and others apparently, gtv up. I think it was new "youtube flash gtv update" because usb worked last week.

What pisses me off is I must pay $100-$500 for a service tech to look at it, and he might just say "updates erased critical usb data...ummm...I don't know how to fix it, sorry".

Simply plugging a usb in and watching movies (like I used to be able to do with gtv) on gtv was my main attraction to buying it, that and wifi internet with picture in picture, but with usb (external memory via usb stck) NOT working now, it makes gtv kinda worthless to me.

Do you guys know any other way to access usb on gtv (scroll through its data, for instance select movie you want) without "media player" because I can't even get into usb at this point on gtv.

I am seriously frustrated.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You can read about GTVBOX at this thread - http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4075-gtvbox-video-player-support.html
    You can buy the app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gtvbox.videoplayer&hl=en
    You can get more info at GTVBox Video Player for Google TV and it says you can download a free test version via the gtvhacker dropbox account if you want to test it out - i don't know how that works but maybe someone else can help you with using that.

Basically it's much better then the media player that comes with google tv and plays subtitles too if you use .srt files.

12. googletvuser

googletvuser New Member

trallyus, I would like to thank you.

I clicked your first link and paid $2.99 for the gtvbox app, it took 30 seconds to install and download, and after installation I plugged my usb in, and to left of gtvbox menu (3rd icon down) I saw a usb box symbol and it recognized my usb ! It read the movie and played it - awesome !

SO THE ANSWER IS IF GTV UPDATES MESSED UP YOUR ABILITY TO WATCH USB, DOWNLOAD THE GTVBOX APP ! PLUG YOUR USB, LOOK TO LEFT OF GTVBOX AND IT'LL READ YOUR USB !