Quantcast

Yahoo weighing up Hulu

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greenenergyassessors, May 10, 2013.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just recently Yahoo tried to buy a controlling interest in Dailymotion - but the French government nixed that deal. So now they are interested in Hulu again. I will say that I like the original programs from Yahoo Screen....

A lot of companies have shown "interest" in Hulu - but showing interest and actually completing a deal are 2 different things. There was a time when it was plastered all over this forum that Google was a lock for buying Hulu... -;)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think I want any company to buy Hulu. I like the free Hulu service really well and use it quite a lot now but if some company pays a couple billion dollars for Hulu, I don't see how an advertiser funded service and Hulu Plus can provide a very good return of investment and the service would likely have to change as soon as the existing contracts would permit that.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Whoever buys it must make sure they don't scare away the networks. I can't see Google ever buying Hulu. Like w/Google TV, Google has a habit of panicking the networks. It's kinda funny when ya think about it. My cable service has been enhanced tremendously w/my GTV devices. Google should have emphasized this aspect rather than boasting that they wanted to change the way TV is viewed.

We'll see...

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

Yahoo submitted an official bid for Hulu this morning. Apparently Google is not among the current group offering bids for Hulu:

Yahoo Submits Bid for Hulu - Peter Kafka - Media - AllThingsD (click for full article)

by Peter Kafka - May 24, 2013

"Add one more name to the Hulu bidding derby: Yahoo, which just announced plans to buy Tumblr for $1.1 billion, has made an offer on the video website as well.

The Web giant submitted a bid for the video site this morning, according to a person familiar with process. Other people looking to buy all or a piece of Hulu include:

Directv,
    Time Warner Cable
    William Morris Endeavor, along with with PE backer Silverlake
    KKR
    Guggenheim Digital
    The Chernin Group

As AllThingsD reported earlier this month, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and COO Henrique De Castro have met with Hulu's team recently for a get-to-know-you; Yahoo had previously tried to buy a large stake in French video site DailyMotion, but that bid was stymied by the French government."

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

Who will get Hulu? No clear answer at close of latest bidding ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Jeff John Roberts - July 5, 2013

SUMMARY:
    Hulu's owners hit another milestone on Friday in their long-running effort to sell the company - but don't hold your breath that the TV service will change hands any time soon.

-- "The Hulu rumor bill churns on. Friday marked the deadline for would-be buyers to submit bids for the over-the-top TV service but, even with the reported departure of one big contender, it's hard to say who will close the sale - or if a sale will occur at all.

In the latest twist, All Things D reports that private-equity firm Silver Lake has folded its cards, leaving DirecTV, Guggenheim Partners, Time Warner Cable and AT&T as the leading candidates. A recent report cited sources who claimed DirecTV would seal the deal by the end of June but, in retrospect, that may have just been posturing by one of the parties in the long-running negotiations."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. CatfishRivers

I heard through the pea-vine that Yahoo's bid was too low -:)

Hulu's Final 3 Bidders: Analyzing the Pros and Cons of Each - The Hollywood Reporter (via Mowser)
    (click for full article)

by George Szalai - July 5, 2013

"Heading into the final stretch of bidding, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Hulu has narrowed down the list of prospective bidders to three major suitors: DirecTV, The Chernin Group and Guggenheim Digital Media. The streaming-media company owned by Disney, 21st Century Fox and Comcast collected $695 million in revenue in 2012 via advertising and 4 million premium subscribers, and the company could fetch more than $1 billion in the auction. Bidding was set to end at 2 PM PST on Friday. Here's how the asset would fit with each of the potential new owners."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013