Quantcast

XBox360 Dashboard update tomorrow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cygnus, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Looks like MS will beat revue to the punch with their update.

Features of the update include:

Dec. 6:
    • EPIX. United States
    • ESPN on Xbox LIVE (ESPN). United States
    • Hulu Plus. United States
    • Netflix. Canada, United States
    • TODAY (MSNBC). United States

Later in December:
    • Crackle (Sony Pictures). Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, United States
    • Dailymotion. Available in 32 countries globally
    • iHeartRadio (Clear Channel). United States
    • MSNBC.com. United States
    • TMZ (Warner Bros.). Canada, United States
    • UFC on Xbox LIVE (UFC). Canada, United States
    • Verizon FiOS TV. United States
    • VEVO. Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States
    • Vudu (Wal-Mart). United States
    • YouTube. Available in 24 countries globally

Early 2012:
    • CinemaNow (Best Buy). United States
    • HBO GO (HBO). United States
    • MLB.TV (MLB Advanced Media). Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
    • Xfinity On Demand (Comcast). United States

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Any word on BBC iPlayer yet??

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm sure some people will like it. But it's not for me. Xbox has no web browser - the web browser is a must for me. Plus to get the cable channels it will require a cable subscription package. The cable channels aren't being offered ala carte - which in my opinion would of pushed Xbox ahead of the rest.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It'll beat the Android TV, Boxee Box, Roku, or Apple TV to the punch, but not Google TV. This is not any different than any stand-alone set-top that can run apps fed by internet content. Google TV sets itself apart by trying to amalgamate your internet and television watching experience. All the rest are providing a parallel experience.

You would think that an a'la cart channel service would save you money, rather than bundling a bunch of channels that you wouldn't use but probably wouldn't. There are lots of articles on the internet that discusses the economics of bundling channels. Here's an excerpt of one of the more pronounced.

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

GoogleTV "sets itself apart"..? GTV has been a failure so far. Don't get me wrong, it still has potential. I just don't see it being a success with apple, MS, and others in the same biz.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The success of the product or lack there of, doesn't superecede the key features that differentiate itself from other products. All of these other internet set-top streamers are only able to provide a parallel internet experience through individual applications. Google designed Google TV to converge television and internet with a synergy to enhance your experience. Otherwise, it might as well be an "Android TV" knockoff from China.

7. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Heh..you have been drinking the GTV kool-aid. :) I really don't see that much of a difference between GTV and a streambox that supports apps. GTV works better with cable/sat service like XB360 dashboard do too.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The key difference is that Google TV is the only device that is capable of merging all of the content streamed from a set-top box's HDMI output. This is the same content that one might already pay for through a cable or satellite provider or even get free through an over the air tuner. Whereas all the other streamers are limited by a selection of individual apps to provide a curated access to select services.

9. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I agree. Good point. But the problem is that most people prob don't care or even know about that advantage. Thus GTV may be a tough sell as more streamboxes, esp consoles, get the capabilities. It will be interesting to see if GTV sales pick up when the onLive app is released, assuming it works well.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You also bring up a good point and I agree as well. That's one of many unfortunate realities which has hindered the success of Google TV. Look, I'm not saying that Google wasn't "beat to the punch" by Microsoft for getting many more content providers to embrace their Xbox 360 platform. It is obvious with the long list of providers that they were. It is just that they didn't beat either Logitech nor Sony to the punch since their Google TV products can already support the linear content that their customers already pay for.

True. Even though OnLive has a limited amount of games in their library, it would be interesting to see the competition between local game content and a distributed game content provider.

11. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Yes but one thing M$ will do and do well is promote and hype XBL features to death. Thus the public will think MS was first and will benefit from it. All of the major web sites are talking about the update. This update is critical to MS as they want the metro interface to be similar amongst their OSes (and devices): XBL (360), WinMo (cell and tablets), and win8 (laptops, desktops). It will be interesting to watch as the OS wars on multiple fronts (from mobile to living room) amongst apple, google, and MS really intensify over time. Sony could get caught in the crossfire...which side(s) will they choose?

I really want to try onLive. I hope revue is strong enough to run it. Somehow I think it won't be and will require the next-gen GTV. I hope I am wrong tho as GTV could make a big come back.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that Google had missed out on their chance last year. They built up a lot of hype for Google TV before it was released. I know several developers who were eagerly anticipating the Android Market access. Unfortunately, Google TV lost traction because Google didn't deliver on their promises and repetitively pushing back on their commitments. It will be a shame if anyone would think Microsoft was was first, but public perception doesn't always match with reality. Winston Churchill continues to be right, "History is written by the victors."

Sony has vested interested in the Playstation, so I would assume that they would either converge it with Google TV or go off into their own direction. I highly doubt that they're going to embrace their competitor's platform. After all, that's what Samsung seems to be doing with Google TV due to their differences with Apple.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Looks like Microsoft is susceptible to their fair share of delays. Although, I doubt that they're going need an entire year to resolve this issue.

14. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Price and network backlash killed GTV's launch. Now with so many streamboxes and consoles basically doing the same thing GTV does, GTV will always be a niche product at best.

In terms of interfaces XBL trounces PS3. There is no comparison. Sony really needs to update its outdated interface. I don't see it happening this late in the console's life. Did the GTV app ever get released for PS3? Maybe with PS4 sony will get things right.

Supposedly the 360 update occurs later tonite. We'll see.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, that was idle speculation and conjecture that some how got blown up into news stories. It seems just about any sensational journalist will post stories and headlines loosely based on rumors and imagination.

16. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Update is available.

17. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

18. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

heh..stop drinking the haterade. :cool: The new dash is nice. Netflix finally got 5.1 and CC. Improved interface too. ESPN app has been updated as well: PQ is great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  19. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Yes, BBC iplayer is coming early next year.

Other info:
    [​IMG]

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Even after months of using with the new Dashboard and filing report after report, I still think that the Metro interface is cumbersome and disorganized. I do not look forward in using this interface on my computer with Windows 8 either. In my opinion the Kinect voice command "punch-throughs" makes it a little more tolerable. No doubt influencing Kinect purchases has been a part of its design. I can imagine the frustration one will have if they were stuck with just a controller.

The new apps on the Xbox 360 are awesome though. I 'm more than happy to admit that.