Quantcast

Xbox One TV vs. Google TV: The Real Smart TV Battle Begins

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Wisdom, May 21, 2013.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[h=1]Watch new Xbox announcement with us - possible Google TV-killer incoming?[/h][​IMG]
    posted on May 21st 2013 at 4:39pm by Edgar Cervantes

[​IMG]
    Today is a big day for the gaming industry. Microsoft will be announcing its new Xbox console and we are expecting it to be quite the beast. The gaming console is all but guaranteed to sell by the millions, and at GTV Source we are both excited and worried. Excited because it should be an awesome console that many of us will buy, but we fear that it could be the very first dangerous competitor to Google TV.
    Google TV has been struggling to get on its feet and is finally making some real progress. We have more manufacturers jumping in and Google is hard at work with software improvements. The platform still has a lot of growing to do, though. And recent rumors of Xbox bringing Google TV-like functionality are worrisome.
    According to the rumors, Xbox is set to jump into the smart TV business with the new console. Anonymous sources state that it will work by taking your cable box's signal and sending it to your TV with Microsoft's UI on top. Sounds familiar, right? It's exactly what Google TV does, and without a solid base of apps Google TV could have a hard time competing.
    Think about it this way - millions will already be buying the new Xbox, wither it has smart TV functionality or not. If Xbox manages to bring a great smart TV experience, though, do you think users will go out of their way to get a separate Google TV device? We will have to see, but for now let's stay tuned and watch the announcement, which will start in less than an hour.
    Watch Xbox announcement here

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had posted this CNET article in another thread. It raises some good questions about the Xbox One integrated live TV functionality:

Six challenges for integrated TV on the Xbox One | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

IMO what is very important is whether Comcast gives the Xbox One "enhanced integration" similar to the deal that GTV has with Dish Network. And what other TV providers sign on.

Also if Microsoft comes out with a "Xbox Light" TV set-top box - the price of that would be more in line with GTV boxes, Apple TV, Roku, etc. This set-top box from Microsoft has been rumored - and they actually have working prototypes available right now. But it has not been officially launched yet by Microsoft. If they really do launch an inexpensive Xbox Light TV set-top box - that could actually turn out to be the real threat to GTV IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article about Microsoft Xbox Light TV set-top box:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05/10/microsoft-already-building-apple-tv-competitor/

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Microsoft has a super new deal with the NFL via it's new Xbox One TV with lots of features including live games, plus RedZone ....

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Not enough information about the XBox One to compare to Google TV at this point but a Blu-ray player/game console with HDMI input, full web browser and integration of internet TV and traditional TV is the gold standard of dream products for my household. We are happy with Google TV, Roku, and the PS3 but that requires 3 boxes. I can't imagine the XBox One will be good enough to make me switch to a Microsoft all in one box but I will pay attention. The Wii U and PS4 are apparently not going to be the products that do it all.

8. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

I'm putting my sony google tv up on ebay and preordering the xbox one as soon as I can. I can't fathom a single thing that Google TV will have over Xbox One. I first owned a vizio co-star and then bought the sony gs7 since I had bad experiences with the vizio only to find out that the sony is almost as bad. I have never had consumer devices that would crash constantly until I bought these two Google TVs. They are extremely slow and unreliable devices. The speed of the xbox one switching between apps, videos, blu-ray, and TV is blazing fast. The lack of Google TV apps is also extremely disappointing. The current xbox 360 has basically every major streaming app NATIVELY including HBO Go, Amazon, Hulu Plus, and Netflix. It's pretty much a lock that those will all be on xbox one as well.

Sure some may say that I'm comparing a $400-$500 console to a $100-$200 device but to me, the money doesn't matter. The experience does and Google TV just doesn't cut it.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I recall reading that the Xbox One has a 8 core processor. But I wonder how much electricity this thing uses? I'm not into gaming - so I'm keeping an eye out to see if Microsoft releases the "Xbox Light TV Set-Top Box". This would probably launch at a price point between $100 to $200. However as I mentioned previously - even though Microsoft has working prototypes of a set-top box - they are still undecided if they will actually market it. If they do - I'm thinking early next year.

10. Esalas666

Esalas666 New Member

I have loved the Google TV concept since his inception. But seen how Google has leave us in the dark at IO 2013, tells me that they are not fully compromised to us. Telling us that an upgrade is comming and leave at that. I buy my revue when it came out, then buy a Sony BR player and I still use them daily, but it is so dificult to navigate tru the UI that it get to the point where its frustrating.

I was on the verge to get a new google tv device, but im going to wait for the Xbox One. I love the Xbox 360, and they are putting more effort than Google in making a better experience for the end user.

Now with the Xbox One we are going to get all the Google TV goodies plus one of the best gaming experiences all in one box.

This is just my opinion.

11. twospirits

twospirits Member

I've been saying it for a while now, that Google needs to enhance its gaming part. I'm not a gamer myself, but facts are facts, the market for gaming is huge. With a partner such as Sony which has a huge market in gaming as well in the Playstation, it would be to eachs benefits to come to a compromise/merging of the minds and have both GTV with the playstation and vice versa.
    Then again, we only got a tiny glimpse of the playstation from the Sony event, so we really do not know all the details and capabilities it may have up its sleeve. With E3 coming around the corner, the gaming enthusiasts will just have to wait to see what it has. it may have GTV capability.

Word has it that a major stockholder wants Sony to be split up into smaller companies. That may or not happen (at least not in the immediate future), but if so, Google should acquire the hardware gaming aspect of it. Something I personally would like to see.

Regardless, I do feel that the xBox One is a very tough and formidable competitor to the GTV boxes. The writing has been on the wall for some time now.

TS

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

This is a game changer, the only negative so far for me is USA only TV integration yet again. I like the multitasking, gaming, Skype, instant voice commands, and gestures. If Internet explorer runs Java based internet web sites like EA's Pogo.com not only will I get one of these boxes but all my family members are likely to get one as well. I have images of card games with family members in different households and running a conference Skype call in my mind. This just appears to run seamlessly and effortlessly compared to GTV. Even my 80 year old grandmother could figure out how to use this thing in no time.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

15. credo

credo New Member

Since Google is no longer supporting my first generation Sony GTV, the X box One does seem like a possible next purchase.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm thinking the same thing, plus the Xbox One has HDMI IN/OUT, my kinda box ...(lol)

17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I still have my old T-Mobile HTC HD2 with a built IN Android and Windows dual booting OS ... My HD2 still has my own personal cooked ROMs, nothing but pure magic ...

Now, I'm thinking about my Vizio Co-Stars Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and Microsoft's Xbox One TV integrated in with a Tivo Premiere Series 4 box all in line, plus Slingbox, this is gonna be sweet, can't wait ...

18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The Xbox box is just futureware. If it ends up costing $400+ I doubt the Roku's of the world will have much to worry about, especially if they keep charging a network toll. In addition, no one wants a loud fan under their TV. The current Xbox is a terrible media player.

It's very difficult to say anything intelligent about the unit since so much is unknown. Given the lack of success of Windows 8 I don't think Google needs to worry a whole lot.

The whole content distribution model is strange and nothing interesting is going to happen from anyone until that changes.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

19. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see anyway the XBox One comes in under $400 at launch unless Microsoft wants to try the old sell the hardware at a big loss and make it up on games and services business model. I do expect the box to be really good and require a fan to run cool enough. Nintendo made the Wii U sound great prior to release but that doesn't appear to be living up to the hype at this point based on what I have read.

20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Regardless, like I said, I'm rolling with my Vizio Co-Stars Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and Microsoft's Xbox One TV integrated in with a Tivo Premiere Series 4 box all in line, plus Slingbox, this is gonna be sweet, can't wait ...