Quantcast

XBox 720 To Drop In 2013 With Kinect 2 And AR Glasses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 18, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Xbox 720 to drop in 2013 with Kinect 2 and AR glasses? | Stuff magazine (click for full article)

"A Microsoft business document purportedly showing the company's road map to the Xbox 720 has leaked on Scribd, spilling the beans on the next-gen console's pricing, hardware and release date.

If the 56-page document is to be believed, the Xbox 720 will drop in 2013, priced at US$300 - in response to "new threats from Apple (AppleTV) and Google (Google TV)."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Rumor: Microsoft committed to subscriptions and believes PS4 to have Google TV - GAMER.BLORGE (click for full article)

"More information for the supposed Microsoft checkpoint deck revealing the company's road map for the Xbox 720 contains some very interesting analysis of the competition.

In the PowerPoint deck, Microsoft apparently believes that Sony will be partnering up with Google to bring Google TV to the PlayStation 4. There have been hints dropped by both Google and Sony that this is something both companies are working on in the past.

Microsoft speculates that the PS4 will cost $399, based on historical assumption. The deck also indicates that Sony will most likely angle the PS4 as an all-in-one media device like the Xbox 720."

3. CatfishRivers

Rumor: Microsoft to release a stripped down Xbox in 2013 - GAMER.BLORGE (click for full article)

"Microsoft theorist and Deep Throat, MS Nerd has posted some interesting rumors recently about the next Xbox console. According to MS Nerd, Microsoft will be launching a new Xbox device in late 2013.

As reported by Tech Radar, MS Nerd has posted some alleged Microsoft plans around the next Xbox on Reddit. According to MS Nerd, Microsoft will be launching a lite ARM-based platform that will function as a barebones Xbox console.

The price of the device will supposedly be around $100 and will complete with the Apple TV. MS Nerd says that after the release of that device in 2013, the 'Xbox Next' or Xbox 720 will be released. Additionally the next version of the Kinect device will launch in 2015."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

Mother-of-All-Microsoft-Leaks Details Xbox 720 Tech, Roll-Out Plans | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (click for full article)

From the article:

"Microsoft has been very clear that it will not unveil a new Xbox until after 2012, so it's not a shock to learn that yes, 2013 is the target for the Xbox 720. There is something in store for Xbox 360 owners before the year is out, however-the document indicates that Microsoft plans to release XTV service and apps for the 360 in time for the holidays.

What's also interesting is the look-in we get on the software giant's internal discussion about rollout timing and the life expectancy of its current console on the market.

In a slide asking, "Why do we need a next gen Xbox in 2013?" Microsoft posits that its Xbox 360 business will decline beginning next year, while Gen 8 gaming platforms from rivals Sony and Nintendo raise the bar and "new threats from Apple (AppleTV) and Google (Google TV)" emerge to challenge the leading game console maker.

The document also points to "Xbox 360 Limitations," which according to Microsoft include:

- No full fidelity AAA Games + Kinect V1 sensor

- Will not support full range of XTV platform scenarios (e.g. 1080p video + Video Chat +HTML5 Apps)

- Lacking modern entertainment capabilities (e.g. Blu-ray, Native 3D output, 2x1080p in/out)

- Can't run "always on"/low power states

- Can't run multiplexed or concurrent applications and service

Microsoft plans to remedy most or all of those deficiencies with the Xbox 720, however. According to the document, the next-gen console will support Blu-ray, native 3D, video acceleration, and five distinct power states ranging from "full power" to "standby."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. CatfishRivers

6. royfernandez1

royfernandez1 New Member

Am I the only one here that doesn't like the "OnLive" (cloud) future of gaming or even computing in general? Maybe it's because I'm particularly invested (I'm a CS student), but if there's something I've always loved it to be able to depend on my console or computer whether you're online or not (however difficult it has become as of late).

Hey let's go to the beach house, I'll take my console. Or hey I'm going some place that has no Internet connectivity and I can still bust out those games on my laptop. Even Steam allows off-line play for many of it's games. Indy developers are getting rid of things like DRM making me even happier to be able to enjoy them without some issue that might appear down the line.

I don't know, I just wonder sometimes. I seriously don't like this whole Cloud push in the industry, I like to be able to own my games. I feel like this whole venture would make things like the ten year old Civ II game impossible or even allow me to enjoy those old SNES or NES classics. Is anyone that thinks like me there?