Quantcast

Xbox 360 with Co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by chiefz0r, Oct 25, 2012.

1. chiefz0r

chiefz0r New Member

I would like to plug my Xbox 360 into the HDMI input of my Co-Star. I plan to use the Xbox as a Media Center Extender to my PC which has a USB tuner and is going to be my DVR.

I tried a similar set up with my old Logitech Revue and found that it created significant input lag when playing games on the Xbox. I searched around for recommendations on how to alleviate the issue and the only answer I ever found was "Don't hook up your Xbox to a Revue."

When searching for info on doing this with the Co-Star, I was unable to find any details. Has anyone tried this set up with the Co-Star? Does it have significant input lag or is it fairly usable?

2. sinjed

sinjed New Member

Did you ever give this a try? Curious if the lag was been reduced with the newer generation of GTV's. Would like to use the overlay to browse the net in between CoD matches :p

3. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

I have an Xbox plugged in to my Co-Star. I have so far had no hiccups in performance when playing any games. The only problem I have had is how you add the Xbox as a device. I wanted to add it as a Cable box because I use Media Center and want to use the Primetime features and search, but I instead had to input it as an internet box which wouldn't allow me to select my cable company. So the remote works perfectly I just don't get the nice search features.

4. chiefz0r

chiefz0r New Member

After making this post originally, I did end up trying it.

I felt that there was noticeable lag. I tested using Halo 4. I hit A to jump while the xbox was plugged into the co-star and felt that the time between pressing the buttoon and seeing the character jump on screen was noticeable enough that it would be a problem compared to when the xbox was plugged into my A/V receiver directly bypassing the co-star.

It wasn't a horrible lag, but for a twitchy shooter like CoD, I imagine it could definitely be an issue.

I looked around for some kind of Game Mode (similar to what I already have enabled on my TV and A/V Receiver) on the co-star but there don't appear to be any options like that.

That being said, I have not tried it again since the more recent firmwares came out. I think there have been at least 2 system updates since I tried it. Perhaps they have helped reduce the lag even further. If bigsam411 is reporting no issues with his, perhaps it is time that I try it again and see if it has improved.

5. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

Yeah I mean I only recently tried this within the past month and have had no issues. However back when I had UVerse at my parents house (I moved a couple months ago), I had pretty annoying audio stuttering. The last 2 updates seemed to have fixed that.

6. chiefz0r

chiefz0r New Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to try it again and see if performance is satisfactory.

The lag that I saw was very subtle, and I could see a lot of people not noticing it. It wouldn't have been an issue at all for watching movies and wouldn't even be an issue for a lot of slower paced games. However, it was enough of a problem to hinder games like Halo or CoD that require split second decisions and reactions.

I will definitely be trying this again when I get some time (hopefully this weekend) and will report back with my findings. Hopefully it has improved because I would love to leave the xbox hooked up via the co-star permanently.

7. sinjed

sinjed New Member

Any luck?

8. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

FWIW - I just decided to bypass the Co-Star via my A/V Receiver this past weekend...I was noticing some lag while playing NHL13, and some glitchy audio/video while trying to run the Game Center Live app on the 360. I'll report back after a little more time in this configuration, but initial impressions are positive.