Quantcast

XBMC Will Turn The $99 Ouya Gaming Console Into A Media Center

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

XBMC will turn the $99 Ouya gaming console into a media center - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The Ouya is a $99 video game console with an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB ports. It runs Google Android 4.0, comes with a wireless game controller, and it's designed as a low cost platform for playing Android games on a big screen TV.

But it can also run apps that aren't games. And that means that you could use the $99 set-top-box for a variety of purposes. One of the most obvious? A media center PC. It turns out there's an app for that.

XBMC is a media center app for Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. The developers are working on an Android version, and now they've announced that they're working with the Ouya team to make sure that it runs on the $99 box.

This isn't exactly a first... XBMC started out as Xbox Media Center, a project for transforming the original Microsoft Xbox video game console into a media center before the project branched out to support other hardware.

XBMC provides a full-screen interface for navigating music, movies, pictures, and other media using a TV and remote control. It also supports dozens of plugins that let you stream media from websites including Hulu, Amazon, Grooveshark, and NPR."

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

If the Ouya comes with a web browser - might this cut into GTV's market share? Personally I'd only be interested in it if it has a web browser. But at only $99 with a quad core processor this seems like a good deal. I've heard a lot about XBMC but I've never used it. It seems to be very popular.

Interesting that a story broke about XBMC working with Ouya - but I haven't heard any news yet about XBMC working with GTV. So far there is only one android TV box that is certified to run XBMC. Currently XBMC is certified to run on the Pivos Xios android TV box (it uses an AmLogic ARM processor). XBMC needs to work with the manufacturers/chip makers in order to have the XBMC videos play through hardware acceleration. Also I had read something about the AllWinner a10 ARM chip looking into supporting XBMC. But that's not finalized yet.

http://androidspin.com/2012/07/26/pivos-officially-announces-xbmc-test-build-for-xios-ds-media-play/

http://liliputing.com/2012/07/allwinner-pledges-support-for-xbmc-media-center-for-mk802-mele-a1000-other-inexpensive-android-devices.html

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

4. CatfishRivers

Well supposedly the Ouya will have access to android apps. So even if it doesn't come with a stock browser pre-installed - IMO it might be possible to download a browser from Google Play.

5. CatfishRivers

Ouya $99 game console to support 4 controllers, Plex media center - Liliputing (click for full article)

"Ouya's Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a $99 video game console running Google Android 4.0 ends today. The group was originally hoping to raise $950,000, but has raised more than 8 times as much over the last 29 days.

The team has also expanded the scope of the project, adding an Ethernet port, support for streaming games over the internet using OnLive, a music video partnership with Vevo, and much more.

Now the Ouya team has announced that the game console will be able to support multiplayer games by letting you use up to 4 wireless game controllers at the same time.

The game controllers will start shipping in March, at about hte same time as the game console itself. But if you want to order extra controllers and have them delivered at the same time as your Ouya console, you'll need to add some money to your Kickstarter pledge before the campaign ends later today.

Ouya has also announced that it's working with NAMCO BANDAI to bring games ranging from Pac-Man to Ridge Racer and Tekken to the Ouya platform.

Yesterday we found out that Ouya was also working with the developers of the popular XBMC media center app to ensure that XBMC works on the game console. Today Ouya has announced that the team is also working with the developers of Plex, another popular media center application.

Both apps can basically transform a computer, portable device, or game console like the Ouya into a media center companion for your television. They provide a full-screen user interface for accessing music, movies and photos on your TV while you sit on your couch with a remote control or video game controller.

While the Ouya has just 8GB of storage, which may not be enough space to hold your music or video collection, Plex and XBMC can stream content from a shared network drive. They also support plugins that lets you stream media from online music or video sites such as YouTube, Hulu, or Grooveshark.

The Ouya console features an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI output, and a USB 2.0 port.

While Ouya is working with big name developers like NAMCO BANDAI, part of the goal of the project is to encourage independent developers to write games for the living room and not just smartphones and tablets. It's much easier to create and distribute games for Android than it is for an Xbox, PlayStation, or Wii.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks but it's GTV for me :)

7. CatfishRivers

According to the article in my previous post - the Ouya will be able to stream Hulu through XBMC. Does this mean that it can be done natively with the Ouya - or does it require a computer (in the same manner that Play-On and Plex can offer Hulu through their servers to GTV)?

From the article:

"While the Ouya has just 8GB of storage, which may not be enough space to hold your music or video collection, Plex and XBMC can stream content from a shared network drive. They also support plugins that lets you stream media from online music or video sites such as YouTube, Hulu, or Grooveshark."

IMO Hulu will probably try to block native streaming of the Hulu web site directly from the Ouya device. However a Hulu Plus app might eventually become available for the Ouya.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. bidger

bidger Member

I used to think I wanted a Boxee app for GTV, but after installing and playing around with XBMC I've decided that would be preferable. It looks gorgeous on a big screen and I find it superior to the similar apps we have now.

If I were able to pre-order the Ouya and not be charged until it ships, I would. But, I'm considering another possible big ticket item soon so I don't want to max out my card.

9. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012