Quantcast

XBMC Removes Ice Channel, 1Channel, and Navi-X

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 30, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting thread (see link below). Apparently XBMC was worried about possible legal problems and has removed the Ice Channel, 1Channel and Navi-X from their XBMC plug-ins, repositories, and zip files collection.

https://plus.google.com/101508104351141925460/posts/6W26oCrmfGn

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Interesting that the 1Channel GTV app is still in the Play Store. And people wonder why the content providers have a weary eye toward GTV..........

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Google will drop the IChannel app from the Play Store, Cooperation from legitimate content providers is what Google TV needs, the piracy needs can be handled by other devices.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

I agree Chris. What I can't figure out is why Google removed the TV Portal and GTV Navi-X apps from the Play Store - while they allow 1Channel to remain. Hmmm does 1Channel have some mysterious hold over Google? Money maybe? Google even took it to the next level by making 1Channel a featured app for GTV. IMO something's not quite 'Kosher' about this......

In the following link you can see FOX broadcasting has a recent legal compaint ongoing with Google about numerous content that 1Channel links to:

DtecNet DMCA (Copyright) Complaint to Google -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse

Sony/Paramount also has a legal complaint with Google over 1Channel. (The infringing links from "Vodify" and "Primewire" are URLs from 1Channel. 1Channel goes by several different URLs).

The 1Channel app is run by somebody different than who runs the 1Channel web sites. They are not supposed to be affiliated from what I've heard. But I don't see what difference that would make in the determination of if the 1Channel app should remain in the Play Store.

Also while I don't really agree with the current law in USA - 1Channel doesn't violate the law (it's just 'shady'). 1Channel just links to copyrighted content hosted on other servers. Since 1Channel doesn't actually host any of the content on their own servers - technically they are not breaking the law. (Navi-X and TV Portal operate this same way). Spain just enacted a new law that will throw webmasters in jail for linking to pirated content - I think it's time the laws in the USA need to be revised also.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

My Navi-X still works and the Ice Channel, but 1Channel has stopped. I'm sure it will update overnight.

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Google's own YouTube hosts many questionable videos, so Google isn't concerned about content or at least until a company with some pulling power reports it. Until the content providers embrace new technology and reasonable pricing models then for every questionable source they shut down others are created to take their place. fortunately Netflix is a step forward in this direction, Amazon needs to work on not being paranoid and provide app for many more devices and then there is Hulu+ who expect people to pay for their content and still expect people to watch ads.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I sure don't think it is fair to say Google isn't concerned. Who knows how many videos Google removes from YouTube daily because of copyright violations and who knows how many accounts have been terminated because of copyright violations? Google has sophisticated software to detect copyright violations and offers easy reporting for any users noticing infringing videos being uploaded. Along with requiring every user to agree not to upload infringing videos or not be granted permission to use the service to begin with, it appears to me Google is making an effort.

Hulu+ is a service with ads, it shows programming funded by ads, very expensive programming only recently released, that is the business model. The monthly fee doesn't make the service viable by itself and it is very easy not to subscribe if you don't want to watch ads, I sure don't have any problem with that business model, Cable TV despite being a pay service includes many channels with ads. Many of the same programs are available ad free from Amazon, iTunes and Vudu for a fee without ads on a pay per view basis for those that want to pay for the programming without ads. I will take the ads and the lower cost personally and watch using an antenna or with Hulu+.

I think the future is going to see more expensive internet streaming and more ads, not less expensive with fewer ads.

8. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

I think VPN's could be a profitable business to be in.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

The pirates are the cable companies and content providers. FiOS now has pop up adds for their PPV and upgrading to a higher internet speed for $10 more a month, right on the TV screen while you're trying watch something. It's disgusting what greedy thieves they are. I'm all for Google's current policy of 1Channel, etc. apps. This screwing around with Hulu plus and other pay, or add-infested crap sites is also ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014