Quantcast

XBMC for Android officially announced and almost ready

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mrspock, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Source: XBMC For Android | XBMC

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well I hope they make a specific version that works with GTV. I don't think that "sideloading" it to GTV will be a good alternative and I doubt it would work that way. Although maybe the sideloading would only work on the new GTV boxes running the ARM architecture?

Strange they mention that it's intended for "set-top boxes" running android but I don't see a GTV version - I hope they don't mean all of those Chinese android TV boxes that run android (this isn't the official GTV platform) - because IMO that would only cause more confusion and fragmentation for Google TV.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  3. drhill

drhill Member

Hope it doesn't need NDK support.

4. bidger

bidger Member

Me wantee.

5. CatfishRivers

I came across some information on Wikipedia that seems to indicate that XBMC for Android is reliant on NDK:

XBMC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the article:

"XBMC for Android is a full port of the complete XBMC application to Google's Android operating-system, was first announced and its source code released publicly on 13 June 2012. This is a full port of XBMC's C++ and C source code with all its dependencies to Android with a build-system that was designed to handle multiple processor architectures, like ARM, MIPS, and x86 with the Android NDK without using a single line of Java, and the APK running nativly under Android as a NativeActivity application."

6. indianidiot007

indianidiot007 New Member

this didnt worked on sony google tv :(

7. CatfishRivers

Google TV doesn't currently support NDK apps. Google has mentioned that they plan on supporting NDK in the future - but no definitive timetable was given. The other solution would be if XBMC (or another developer) released a version specifically for GTV.

GTVHacker has a workaround for porting NDK apps to GTV. Since XBMC has publicly released the source code - perhaps someone with a bit of programming knowledge could test out the workaround? It's beyond my area of expertise - but here's the link to the GTVHacker NDK workaround in case anyone is interested:

GTv-OS (AndroidTV) - GTV Hacker

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  8. CatfishRivers

Here's an article about some of the android devices that XBMC currently functions on. Apparently not all the devices have hardware acceleration with XBMC - so video playback can be choppy. And the remote input didn't work good on some devices. As I mentioned previously - my hunch was correct that XBMC is currently working with "android TV" set top box manufacturers (not GTV manufacturers):

XBMC Media Center coming to Android, early build already available - Liliputing

From the article:

"For now, the XBMC team has been working with Pivos, a company that makes Android-based set top boxes. In fact, the one device that already supports full hardware accelerated video playback is the Pivos XIOS DS media player, a $115 set top box that runs Google Android and which features WiFi, Ethernet, USB, and HDMI.

But the folks at Miniand have already compiled a version that runs on the MK802 and Mini X. That build actually runs quite well on other Android hardware. While the user interface is clearly designed for a larger device, video playback, add-ons, and other features all seem to work on my HTC One X."

9. CatfishRivers

Another interesting article about XBMC:

XBMC coming to Android soon | The Droid Guy (click for full article)

From the article:

"The application hasn't been released yet. What is holding them back? Well, XBMC for Android was primarily developed on a Pivos XIOS DS set top box, and Pivos is the official sponsor for development. It works great on the Pivos XIOS DS, but on most of the other devices, only software decode of audio and video is possible. That said, the current software decode of media is very smooth, but they are considering to wait for universal hardware decode to be available so that hardware acceleration is attained before releasing it to the general public on Android Play Store.

Also, the developers were able to achieve high quality hardware accelerated playback on the Pivos XIOS DS by working with their vendors, but it is not sure whether those patches will be available to mainstream version of XBMC or remain as an exclusive patch for vendors. Since Pivos is the official sponsor of XBMC, it remains to see whether they will allow this to happen. On the other hand, developers at XBMC believe that an Open Max based player that is found on Raspberry Pi will be made available sooner than later.

In its current state, the software is very usable and since XBMC is an open source project, the source code has been made available. The beta apk are also made available for those early birds out there who would like to experience it firsthand."