Quantcast

XB360's ESPN 3 app

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Cygnus, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Note to google, if there is ever an ESPN app for GTV, it should be like XB360's slick app. The PQ is great, as good as cable TV, except when there is a lot of motion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

BTW I just compared watching ESPN 3 on 360 app to GTV's chrome web browser: superior on XB. The page loads slow and is buggy, video not nearly as clear on GTV. Hopefully GTV has some ESPN (and other sports) apps in the future as I have cable mainly for sports.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, its not really up to Google to decide how ESPN designs their webpages or apps. By the way, the Android developers at ESPN have quite a bit of applications available on the Android Market already. Including the Watch ESPN app which pulls content from the same service. Hopefully they'll do something about optimizing for the Google TV interface in the future.

You should consider sending them feedback. Squeaky wheel, oil, and all that.

Perhaps when Google updates Chrome and Adobe update Flash, some of these websites that have optimized to the newer versions will be less buggy and more robust.

You should see the behinds the scenes at ESPN from Engadget. They've come up with some pretty hi-tech stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Fair or not, GTV will be compared to other direct or indirect competing products. Its up to google to step their game up and ensure the user experience is high in quality from all apps. If that involves screening and testing all apps on android market, so be it. Actually that is how it should have been from the start.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, no, its not. Since the Android platform is an open-sourced open platform, the user experience for third-party applications is entirely up to the developer. What you're referring to is something I have personally dealt with in the video game industry with heavy licensing constrained closed platforms.

I remember the days meeting with Sega's third-party group, only to have our projects further delayed due to "interface ergonomics" or logo screens displayed too long. You see, because of the licensing agreements they could dictate how our applications ran on their system. Google; however, isn't afforded the same luxury due to the openness of the platform.

The best Google can do is improve their Application Program Interface (API) and make sure the necessary libraries are there to support diverse development. A user-friendly software development kit will also help developers roll out software efficiently and effectively. While they have made guidelines for creating apps for the "TV experience" posted in their developer site those are recommendations not requirements.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. Tevya

Tevya New Member

Hi, I'm seriously considering getting a Google TV. However, I have several questions, that I can't seem to find a clear answer on:

1) Can you watch ESPN streaming (ESPN3/Watch ESPN) on a Google TV device? If so, is it only through the built-in browser? Does the new Watch ESPN Android app work?

2) Can you watch free HULU on the Google TV? If not, can you watch HULU Plus? Does the HULU Plus Android app work?

3) If the answer is "no" to either of these, are there any indications these will be coming soon?

I'm really divided between getting a Roku and a Google TV. Google TV looses on content, but I love most things Google and expect good things in the future....