Quantcast

WSJ: The FBI can remotely flip on Android phone mics to record conversations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Aug 2, 2013.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Anyone worried about being tracked by law enforcement officials really ought to think twice before buying an Android phone. The Wall Street Journal reports that the Federal Bureau of Investigation can now “remotely activate the microphones in phones running Google’s Android software to record conversations” and that it can also “do the same to microphones in laptops without the user knowing.” The FBI is now able to perform these feats because it’s invested heavily in recruiting hackers to help it improve its surveillance capabilities, the Journal writes. The Journal’s report suggests that federal officials do need to get a warrant before employing such tactics, which means that the FBI isn’t just casting a wide dragnet as the National Security Agency has been doing with cell phone users’ metadata.

8-2-13

Source

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Lol!!!

They've been able to do this long before the media got wind of it. And not just w/Android phones. Ya think getting an iphone gets ya under their radar?

Think again...

My Tracfone allows for more privacy against federal intrusion than any smart phone out there. And yet I know, if the Gov't wants my info, it is there for the taking...

Carl

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't care if my phone calls are monitored or recorded or if my email is monitored. I send out about a dozen packages a month, those can be opened and inspected, as long as everything is sealed back properly. I believe surveillance methods have thwarted terrorist attacks and all legal methods of crime prevention available to the FBI and police should be used.

4. guest

guest Active Member

Reminds me of the 1998 movie Enemy of the State with Gene Hackman: "The government's been in bed with the entire telecommunications industry since the forties. They've infected everything. They get into your bank statements, computer files, email, listen to your phone calls... Every wire, every airwave. The more technology used, the easier it is for them to keep tabs on you. It's a brave new world out there. At least it'd better be."

Here's nine minutes of some of the best scenes in the movie.
    Enemy of the State off the grid ? Critical Commons

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Guest

"Enemy Of The State" is one of my favorites! "Runaway Jury" comes a close second.

You Rule...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. guest

guest Active Member

The Firm (Tom Cruise/Gene Hackman) is high up on my list.
    Trailer:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014