Quantcast

Would connecting the Sony to home theatre work better this way?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mpovolo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. mpovolo

mpovolo New Member

Currently my STB goes into the Sony and the Sony HDMI out to the Receiver, Recevier then has all the other inputs like apple TV and DVD then out to the TV.

Was thinking of trying something different, all inputs into the Receiver, including the STB, the Receiver out to the Sony Google box input, and the Sony out to the TV. This way regardless of the input I am running, I still have the GoogleTV option.

Thoughts?

2. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Sounds good but then the sound coming out of your Sony Google TV (for Netflix, Youtube, etc.) won't go through the receiver, you will have to listen to it through your tv speakers which would more than likely blow as much ass as Oprah at Taco Bell...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. mpovolo

mpovolo New Member

Good point. Glad I asked before making the change :)

4. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Actually the best way would be STB -> NSZ-GS7 -> TV

Then use HDMI ARC input of TV to connect the receiever and if the TV does not support ARC connect an optical cable from the TV to the AV Receiver.

5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Why on Earth would you do all that when you can just connect it like STB>NSZGS7>audio receiver>TV via HDMI?

6. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

I considered the set-up of receiver > nsz-gs7. I was wondering if I might be able to use the optical outs and ins to run the sound back out of my gs7 into the receiver again and use the optical in as an input for zone2 on my receiver, then use zone two as my full system output or some variation of that.

I haven't tried it, but that was a thought I had.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

7. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Here are a couple of reasons:
    1) Not all Set top boxes handle having multiple devices downstream, this has to do with their support of HDMI repeater functionality.
    -Issues that will happen include:
    a) Black screens
    b) intermittent video
    c) intermittent audio
    In the QSG it is pointed out as a potential issue and the recommendation is to keep the Receiver out of the loop.

2) Video Processing artifacts:
    -The NSZ-GS7 will process all video inputs whether it be 480i/480p/1080i/1080p and scale and output them into a fixed output format based on the preferred timing format specified in the TV's EDID data.
    -AV receivers will also process the video unless they are set to a Native Pass through mode
    -TV's will also process the video to match the resolution of the panel
    It is best to minimize the amount of video processing to minimize artifacts from scaling and interlace to progressive scan conversion.

3) Audio Handling:
    -The TV acts as an Audio Output selector - Many of Todays TV's have multiple HDMI inputs along Analog inputs and TV tuner are designed to take all of the inputs and send the selected inputs audio to the Audio out of the TV.
    -This Audio out is present on the Optical, ARC as well as analog outputs and the optical/ARC output will at a minimum support Dolby Digital.
    -Connection of the AV Receiver to the ARC input will also allow you to send the Video to the TV.
    -HDMI CEC control by the TV will assure that the right input is selected by the TV and allow volume control of the AV receiver as well as power off of the Recevier when the TV is turned off.

This hookup could not be simpler, it would only require 3 HDMI cables.

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Why not, Just make sure to (set GS7 audio setting) see these links - Good luck :)

9. mpovolo

mpovolo New Member

For some reason mine kind of works that way you describe it below. I have the sony plugged into the receiver and the receiver out to the TV. My Panasonic plasma uses CEC and when I turn off the TV it does turn off the receiver. Pretty sure the TV supports ARC also so I could setup the way you described. Problem then becomes if the Sony connects to the TV, how do get my DVD player, or xbox, or appleTV to the TV, run seperate connections? Right now, all boxes connect to the receiver which uses a single HDMI to the TV.

10. Silasrye

Silasrye New Member

As I understood the subject of the post, and my own intent. We would like to run all hdmi sources (xbox, blu-ray, tivo) into the AV receiver, and run the receiver into the Sony box. This would allow Google TV to be Always in the loop, and whatever source we selected to be hdmi through and PIP.

The challenge with that setup would be that if you use your AV receiver to send sound to speakers, (as opposed to using the speakers in your TV), you won't be getting any sound from the Sony box, which will make gtv audio and video apps mute.

Now that you understand what I mean, does your advice still stand, and if so could you elaborate?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

11. futureboy

futureboy New Member

If the device is an HDMI CEC device and your AV receiver supports CEC and your TV has the ability to control CEC devices I would connect them directly to the AV receiver. This way using the TV remote and possibly the NSZ-GS7 remote you should be able to select the device with the Input button. The benefit is you will not need to mess around with changing the input on the TV or AV receiver. By selecting a CEC device the TV input and AV receiver input are selected automatically. Video should be displayed on the TV and Audio should be sent to your Speakers.

If the device is an analog input device I would connect it directly to the TV. This way you will be able to use the Input selection to directly select the device and with all devices being CEC. The audio from the Input selected by the TV will be directed to the audio output (HDMI ARC, Optical Out, Analog Audio Out).

With CEC there is something called One Touch Play - what this does for example is when you have all your devices off and you press the play button on your BD the TV will turn on, The AV receiver will turn on and the correct input will be selected on both. This means that devices connected to the TV can turn on the TV.

CEC will also have the ability to turn off all devices when the TV is turned off.

And there is of course System audio control.

With regards to PIP, many of todays TV's have PIP (Picture In Picture) and PAP (Picture And Picture) modes that will allow two inputs to be shown either with the Picture inset inside of the picture like the NSZ-GS7 or side by side.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[ STB, BDP, DVP, DVD &...] > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > GS7 > HDMI > TV ........... ( for video and audio) ( no audio for GS7)

GS7 > Optical > AVR ............... ( for GS7 audio only)

Just make sure to enable GS7 audio setting see this links

Hope you have a good URC if you're planning on doing this :) (as you'll need to switch audio input on the AVR for PIP/GS7).

FYI, passing audio via the AVR hdmi-out may not support multi channels/surround sound.