Quantcast

Worth a Buy?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by arpanj2, Jan 18, 2014.

1. arpanj2

arpanj2 New Member

Hi - I have Sony 40" Google TV with me and I am getting a Frys replacement for it as there was a defect in the piece. Frys is ready to give me 47GA6400 as a replacement or I can shell a few 100$ and get the 55GA7900 - I want to check if any of the TVs are worth buying? I loved the Sony TV features but wasnt impressed with the picture quality. If I am comapring the LG line up with Samsung Smart TVs - what would people recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks,
    Arpan

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you liked the Google TV experience with your Sony 40", the LG Google TV models are newer with a slightly better processor and for most, I think better operating system. As far as screen size and whether or not you want 3D, that depends on your seating distance and personal preference. In general, I believe LG and Samsung are comparable in terms of picture quality but I only own LG and have seen many models from both companies in stores.

I am a big fan of Google TV so as always, I recommend Google TV if you want the things it does that can't be done with other smart TV platforms.

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

If your a tinkerer and have an android device that facilitates sideloading, you'll love the LG with the Jellybean update. . I really enjoy scanning around the Google Playstore searching out Apps that I can sideload to the TV.

As Chris stated the 3D is going to be a hit or miss option for you. Personally, after 10 minutes I was through with 3D tv

The LG remote takes a lot of getting used to. It has everything you need at the touch of a button but finding it without a backlight and trying to decipher some of the tiny symbols and writing is definetly an issue.

The picture quality of the LG 6400 is good and highly customizable but can be little overwhelming. If you're the type of person who likes digging around in menus and submenus to get the most out of your TV, you'll love the LG GTV. If your the type that just wants to turn on the TV and everything just works, the LG GTV probably isn't for you.

Bottom line for me, I love the LG. Would I get one for my 70 year old parents... No Way!!!!!

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Be aware that the LG GTV televisions have the Jellybean update which removes Flash from the Chrome browser. So if you have some favorite web sites that you feel you 'must have' - I advise checking to see if those sites use Flash before you make your purchase decision.

5. arpanj2

arpanj2 New Member

Thanks everyone who responded. I will mostly go and finalize today - leaning more towards the Google TV :)

6. Granpa

Granpa New Member

No don't buy this TV. After the update the "smart" functions are pretty much unusable. I constantly lose network connection, video streaming is abysmal now. LG just made a mess of things. I'm beyond irritated.

7. ericd

ericd Active Member

If you reset your router and unplug the TV for a minute or 2 it will reset the wireless receiver and should fix your problem. My LG rarely loses connection and has always streamed great

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

My LG GTV had some issues after the jellybean update but a android system recovery fixed all that. all the 'smart' functions work great, everything is nice and smooth.