Quantcast

Workaround For Viewing PDF File

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by CatfishRivers, May 12, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Until the app market arrives this is a workaround for viewing PDF files with Google TV. -- STEP 1: Obtain the actual URL of the PDF file by entering the URL of the web page where the PDF File is located onto this link extractor tool: Link Extractor :: Webmaster Toolkit STEP 2: Take the PDF File URL and enter it into the Google Docs Viewer (and you will be able to read your file in html on your Google TV): Google Docs - Viewer

2. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

How do I cut/copy/paste a URL with GTV??? I did it all the time with MSNTV2.

3. CatfishRivers

When you are on a web page you can copy & paste the URL for that page by 1) Pressing the magnifying glass key and you will see the URL displayed in the search bar 2) then press Ctrl + C to copy the URL 3) to paste the URL press Ctrl + V.
    If you need to cut/copy/paste a URL that is just typed as text on a page then do that this way: 1)navigate the arrow with the trackpad until it is right in front of the URL (and then the arrow changes to that tall symbol that looks like a capitol I. 2) Then press and continue to hold down the mouse button (it's the key on the very top left of the keyboard) while at the same time navigating the trackpad with your other hand so that the URL is covered in blue. 3) Then press Ctrl + C to copy the URL 4) Then press Ctrl + V to paste the URL

4. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

Double and triple clicking work for selecting text for me - I have a Sony TV and there's no way to hold down the mouse button while moving the mouse using the supplied remote. The mouse sensor is built into the button. Well I guess you might be able to hold down the outer edge and squeeze a finger onto the sensor in the center if you had small enough fingers - not my sausages.

5. CatfishRivers

Thanks for pointing that out phantomandy. I own the Logitech Revue (and so does Chicha) - so the instructions I posted work with the Revue. I'm glad that you found a way to make it work with the Sony GTV.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

The Link Extractor appears to work only on http pages, not https pages. I just purchased some information online, 10 videos and 10 pdf's. The videos require one of the latest versions of Flash. The PDF's are listed as "click for PDF; so the actual URL isn't displayed. If you scroll over the words "click for PDF", a URL is displayed on the bottom of the screen. BUT, it can't be c/c/p'ed! Because once the arrow is removed from the "click for PDF" line, the URL on the bottom of the page disappears! Is there a remedy for this? What I did was just hand-write the (https) URL. But entering it on your Link Extractor page came up with zero links. I have used it in the past, so I know it works, but not on https pages. So now I've got to visit a cybercafe to print out 200 pages of PDF's and watch 10 videos. Bummer.

7. CatfishRivers

I wanted to also mention that once you have obtained the URL for the PDF file - you can try entering it into a regular Google search. This is because often Google will have the option (with the search results) to view as HTML - by clicking where it says "Quick View".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. CatfishRivers

I finally found a good free app for reading PDF files - and it can be downloaded from the market. (It's compatible with GTV devices). I tried a few others but none of them worked. I've seen others post that a paid app and/or a sideloaded app could read PDF files. But this app doesn't require sideloading.

It's actually a speed reading app. So the PDF can be read through their speed reading exercise - or when I used ES File explorer I noticed that the entire PDF document was available in HTML format (after the speed reading game). Here's the link for more information from the Google Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zcGVlZHJlYWRlciJd

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Gotta Laugh! It's a weird way to view a PDF file. But it works. Think there's any way to get the print to sit still for a more detailed look? And Google Docs wouldn't accept the URL listed in the Browse bar.

Thanks

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

Well what I noticed is that after I did the speed reading exercise - I looked in the "Download" file section with ES File Explorer app - and the entire PDF document was there as an HTML file. So I suggest that if you don't already have ES File Explorer that you download it from the market and give that a try. Good Luck.

Note: Also on the speed reading app there is an option given to adjust the speed of the speed reading exercise.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. thewamp

thewamp New Member

RepliGo Reader works well, under 3.1 OS, for me. I also installed PrinterShare which I use to save the files as
    .pdf files on my PC, via Wi-Fi.

12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I really don't come across .pdf file often enough to go that route. I was keeping an eye open for an easy and free way to read the occasional file I might encounter. The Speed Reader site works for me.

Carl

13. twiz

twiz New Member

qPDF Viewer (by Qoppa) and MobilePDFViewer (Joerg Jahnke), both free in the Android Market, sideload fine on the Logitech Revue for viewing PDF docs. I've been using them for a bit now. The Working Apps thread has a lot of useful sideloaded apps listed that work well on Google TV.

14. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013