Quantcast

Workaround For Renting YouTube Movies & Using Google Play

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 10, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Some people have mentioned that they are not able to rent YouTube movies with their GTV devices.

While others are having trouble utilizing the new Google Play app.

The only way to currently rent YouTube movies with a GTV device is to change your browser setting to "generic" - and then go to YouTube movies with the Chrome browser. (This doesn't currently work with the YouTube app). Here's the link for YouTube movies:

Movies - YouTube

If you are having trouble with the Google Play app - you can utilize the web version with Chrome. From the web version (with your browser on "generic") - I believe you will also be able to rent movies from Google Play. (Renting movies & music from Google Play doesn't currently work with the app for GTV.) Here's the link for the web version of Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To change your GTV browser setting to "generic": - Go to settings - then go to advanced settings. Then click where it says "under the hood". Then look where it says "user agent".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***UPDATE*** Several people have mentioned that they only got a black box when they tried to play a rented YouTube movie with GTV. So this workaround appears to be spotty. My apologies if you tried the workaround and were unsuccessful. If you contact Google - be sure to tell them that you tried to rent a movie with GTV - they will give you a full refund.

In the meantime the free YouTube movies are working with GTV (through the Chrome browser only). Here's the link for the free movies:

http://www.youtube.com/movies?fl=f&pt=fm

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. halox

halox New Member

Interesting ... Thanks for the heads up. Meantime, I'll keep giving Amazon my money until Google gets it all sorted out. ;)

3. compusion

compusion New Member

Hi

I've run into the same problem watching movies with the new Google Play setup. Early last week, I was able to get through one using YouTube as the viewer, but last night -- no go.

I'd like to try this "generic" solution you describe above, but I can't seem to locate the advanced settings. Even after following your note at the end of the post.

Let me know if you, or anyone has any further clarification.

Thanks much.

4. CatfishRivers

This is how I do it on my Logitech Revue. While on any web page with the Chrome browser I press the menu key (the key with 4 horizontal bars). Don't go to your home page or an app before you do this - do it while on a web page with Chrome. This is because if you press the menu key from your home page it brings up a different on-screen menu. So for example pressing the menu key while viewing this page brings up the proper menu.

After you click the menu key you then click "settings" from the on-screen menu - you will then see an on-screen menu where "Advanced Settings" is the second option from the top (it's right below the top "Homepage" option). And as stated before - after you click "advanced settings", next you will click where it says "Under The Hood" - and then you will see a section with "User Settings". You click "generic" and you'll be good to go.

By the way there is no need to reboot after you switch your user agent to generic.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. compusion

compusion New Member

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to locate the setting you referred to right away. But, I'm still having problems starting the purchased videos.

Now when I start the movie, I get a black box with no controls in it at all. The only thing in the black box is the text "undefined". The text is centered and at the very top of the black box. Darn.

So, after checking a few trailers and such, I purchased another movie and tried it. Same problem.

I don't know if you have any other ideas. I'll send a message to Google support and see what I get back.

Thanks again for your tips on this.

6. CatfishRivers

I suggest clearing your cookies, history, and cache. I just tried a free YouTube movie and that works. The rentals worked before. I'm not sure if YouTube might of changed something - however in the past I had an issue of all YouTube videos not working (just a black box showed). I was able to fix that particular issue by clearing my browsing data from Chrome. Apparently I had a corrupted cookie.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Bogart

Bogart New Member

Thank you for this post, I can rent again YouTube movies through Google Chrome in my Sony Google TV. It messed me all up when I saw the error about my Google TV can't rent movies in YouTube. It was ridiculous.

8. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

I have my browser set to "Desktop" and rentals work fine. The Play Store workaround is a good one.

9. dfoxworth

dfoxworth New Member

How are you guys able to watch the free Youtube movie? I have a Logitech Revue and it's telling me I need to update my Adobe Flash. But I can't bc it says it's already up to date :(

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Not really relevant to this thread but the last 10 movies I played from this list worked fine. Currently I am watching "And Then There Were None" from the Mysteries list.

Movies - Free Movies - YouTube

I just jumped around to a few others and found that "Bailey" resulted in that message. Hopefully the Revue Google TV Adobe Flash Player will be updated to play more, maybe all YouTube movies, in the future but I can't say I know that will be the case.

11. CatfishRivers

Some of the content providers are upgrading to Flash 11 for DRM (digital rights management) reasons. The Flash 11 upgrade included DRM for mobile devices. However most of the videos on YouTube will still work with GTV (as most videos are non-premium and they don't require Flash 11) - but an increasing amount of premium content is upgrading to Flash 11.

Google has mentioned that they plan on supporting YouTube rentals on GTV - so IMO this means that eventually we will get an update to Flash 11. The question though is whether the Logitech Revue will get this update. Support for new upgrades on the Revue are pretty much at the end of the line. Getting Flash 11 is not something that Google can update on it's own and it's not a "minor bug fix." The Flash version is baked into the GTV OS (and thus it can only be added through an OS update). So the chain of events would be:

1) Adobe gives Google the GTV version of Flash 11

2) Google incorporates the new Flash version into an operating system update

3) Google passes along the OS update to GTV manufacturers (Sony, Logitech, LG, Etc.)

4) The GTV manufacturers (if they choose to) optimize the OS update to function with their firmware - and then pass along the new OS update to GTV users.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

My understanding is that Adobe is going to be removing Flash from Play Store in Aug/Sept and will no longer be developing it. It is being replaced with Adobe Air plus HTML 5 is apparently the way forward for videos. I have no idea how all this is going to affect GTV.

13. CatfishRivers

Yes here is a link explaining the details:

Flash Player being withdrawn from Google Play store on August 15 - ComputerworldUK.com

In November Adobe announced that they would no longer be developing new Flash versions for mobile (which includes GTV). Flash 11 will be the last Flash version for mobile devices. They will continue to support previous Flash releases on mobile (with bug fixes) - and only desktops will receive new Flash versions beyond Flash 11.

There will be no Flash version for android Jelly Bean OS. Beginning August 15th only those mobile devices that already have Flash installed will be able to update Flash from Google Play.

My thinking is that since Adobe stated that the last Flash version for mobile was Flash 11 - and that since GTV devices don't install Flash directly from Google Play - that Google is probably still working with Adobe to get Flash 11 capability on GTV. Other reasons are that YouTube currently has only a limited HTML5 beta program (videos with commercials in the HTML5 beta program don't play in HTML5 - but rather revert to Flash). So all the free YouTube movie rentals only play in Flash currently. I think most of the paid YouTube rentals stream in Flash also. I don't think HTML5 is ready for prime time yet on YouTube.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012