Quantcast

Work Around

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by overtimeman, Feb 23, 2013.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Remember Carl talking about our browser taking us to mobile sites and it started that crap with me when going to yahoo.com.Now I type myyahoo.com into the search bar so I don't have to deal with yahoo's mobile site.Yeah I would enjoy the amazon and vudu app but I hope the team keeps our browser up to par.I do get the "you are using an older version of the browser or please update your browser" on some sites!

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hmmm very interesting. I was just able to go to the regular Yahoo web site with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) by typing the regular URL into the search bar and then clicking to go to the web site. I suspect that your "issue" is a new feature that Google added to the search app with one of the recent updates. All GTV devices currently have the same Chrome browser user agent string.

I suspect that changing your user agent to "generic" will make no difference with this issue.

However I have a hunch that if you click the link for the regular full Yahoo site (with your NSZ-GS7 Chrome browser) that it will take you to the regular Yahoo site. Please give it a try and let me know (see link below):

Yahoo!

My hunch is that Google updated the "search" app in such a way that when you type the URL of a web site (into the search bar) - the search displays the URL for the mobile site. However if my hunch is correct then clicking on a link (or bookmark) directly with Chrome it should take you to the regular full web site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: You can determine your Chrome user agent string by visiting the following web site:

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

All GTV devices currently have the following Chrome browser user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. overtimeman

It took my GS7 straight to the mobile site again with that link.Funny thing since you mentioned it my Revue will still go to the regular site!Got me scratching my head on this one.Wonder if a full factory reset will do any good.Already cleared my cookies to no affect.

4. CatfishRivers

Mike IMO this a stealth feature that Google intentionally added to second generation GTV devices - because of the complaints about Shockwave crashes, pages freezing, the Aw Snap! message etc (with the first generation GTV units).. The GTV devices don't have the resources of a full desktop computer - thus web pages designed with desktop computers in mind (with lot's of Flash, javascript, pop-ups etc) somtetimes have trouble loading properly on GTV. In such instances GTV is better equipped to handle the mobile version of web sites.

I haven't heard anything official about this - so it's possible it could just be a bug of some kind. But as you mentioned the Revue never defaults to mobile versions of web sites - so my hunch is that Google deliberately added this feature to second generation GTV boxes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I'll try it out later on my Sony box... as soon as the wife quits watching that damn Law and Order crap again.

6. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Tried it out and yes it goes to the mobile site for me too.

7. overtimeman

Sorta reminds me of the path the old MSNTV2 started down.We are at the mercy of Sony engineers on this one.I figure they are working to catch up with Vizio on the Vudu and Amazon HD apps.If you think about it how many choices does a person need to rent a movie?Vudu is nice but on new releases they charge a dollar more and now Amazon has started the same thing.Sony and GTV both have movie rentals we can utilize but a dozen of one or twelve of the other good grief where does it end? LOL!,"Workarounds" from my old msntv days! :cool:

8. RiverCity.45

RiverCity.45 New Member

I side loaded the dolphin browser, set it to default. One of the setting you can change in Dolphin is to force it to identify itself as a particular type of browser (e.g., desktop, mobile).

9. CatfishRivers

I tried Dolphin browser on my Revue and ended up uninstalling it. All Flash videos will not work with any sideloaded GTV browser. YouTube doesn't work on GTV with Dolphin browser.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see from the following threads- Flash only works with the native GTV Chrome browser:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/3689-free-browsers-google-tv.html

and also:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4738-web-browser-alternatives.html

Eferz gave a good explanation in his post from the above thread:

"Flash is embedded into the operating system not Chrome. The reason why Flash doesn't work with most (if not all) third-party browsers is because the Flash apk isn't running in the Dalvik Virtual Machine, like on Android Phones and Tablets. The way its interacting with the Flash software is the problem. If you have a browser in mind that you'd like to use fully with Google TV, the best thing to do is notify the developer that you'd like to have it updated to work with GTV."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Bigdave240

Bigdave240 New Member

How is it working for you? I use it on my tablet but still end up back at the stock browser as it seems easier to use.

11. RiverCity.45

RiverCity.45 New Member

True enough. It doesn`t do Flash/UTube, but that isn`t much of what I surf, anyway. I really dislike the Chrome browser. It feels old, limited, useless to me.