Quantcast

Woohoo.. my shiny new Revue is on my desk...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by goksucats, Aug 5, 2011.

1. goksucats

goksucats New Member

Can't wait to get home! There is just something about the small of new electronics...

• Like Like x 2
  2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

It does you no good on your desk! :p Sooooo..whaddya think!?!

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Well, don't be afraid to hook it up and tell us how it all went.. [​IMG]

4. goksucats

goksucats New Member

Pretty happy with it.

I do have one criticism, and it is the electronics worlds addiction to shiny black surfaces. It sucks.

I do enjoy several of the features, including sorting programming by comedy/drama/etc and web-browing on the TV. I don't currently subscribe to Netflix or Hulu, I'm a bit of a picture quality stickler and have, so far, found streaming unacceptable. I do hope the update to Honeycomb with a new version of Chrome does speed up the browser, it's entirely too slow. It scrolls slowly, and loads pages slowly. It's not my connection which is AT&T DSL 6.0Mbps, I'm going to guess it's the old version of Chrome on the system. I do have a Dish Network ViP722, and did not set up the full integration, as it hardly seems worth $50/year to be able to set my recordings with the revue instead of with the remote, so unless I'm missing something I am going to just stick with the basic integration.

All in all, I am enjoying it, though I would probably be furious if I had spent $250 on it, as it is hardly worth it. But for $99 seems like a pretty good deal. And hopefully it becomes an amazing deal when the Android marketplace opens up. I don't currently have any other Android equipment, I just have a standard AT&T multimedia web-based phone (no smartphone), and no tablet either, though I have been looking at those as well.

I was going to put my equipment list in a signature, but don't see a place for it in the profile. That's a common question on the home theater forum I frequent. As I hope to spend some time here, I do see it in other folks posts, but I must be missing it somewhere.

My current equipment list is:

Logitech Revue
    Panasonic TC-P42S1 1080P plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver
    Dish Network ViP722
    Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray
    Toshiba HD-A3 HDDVD
    Paradigm v3 Titans/CC-170/Atoms in 7.1 Configuration
    JBL E250P 12-Inch Sub
    Xbox 360
    Wii (collecting dust)

5. sparkyscott21

I do believe you need either 12, but, I think it is 15 posts first, Then you can.
    Helps with the spammers.

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I have a 6 meg connection too goksucats but when I did my speed test with my tv's browser it said it was getting 8 megs down :) My suggestion on speeding up your network speed is make sure your using a wireless N router if you use wireless and make sure it supports a guest mode. This way you can put all your N devices on the main network and use the guest mode for the slower B and G devices.

I remember reading some routers slow down your net speed when they try to accommodate the older wireless standards on a Wireless N router so I tend to separate all my older wireless devices that use less then N to the guest mode on my router for best speed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Winkle

Winkle New Member

well congrats... i cant wait to see what happens when the update is here..
    it took me like 30 or so minutes for the initial update, im guessing you guys were going crazy?

8. goksucats

goksucats New Member

Thanks trallyus, I guess I'll have to see what I can do about the router. I just replaced my old DSL router/modem which croaked on me with a new AT&T Router/Modem all-in-one. I was going to go with a Cisco or Netgear, but I spoke to AT&T and they said that would be fine, but if I had problems they wouldn't be able to help me get up and running again, and support would be difficult. I enjoy computers, but I don't really feel like I know enough about them to have to fight something like that on my own. But the new Router is wireless G (I guess they don't have wireless N routers available). I guess my question is, would I really notice a difference in the download speed? Doesn't Wireless G support 54 Mb/s? That's 9 times faster than my DSL downstream speed. The router I'm using is the 2Wire 2701HG-B, I believe it's the top one that AT&T offers. I tried to post a link, but apparently am too much of a noob.. :p

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. sparkyscott21

You can't link a post until you have 15 posts..
    It's a Spammer thing.. Just making sure....Security and all...