Quantcast

Wondering if there are any GTV players that can decode Hi10p / 10-bit h264 video?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by deanzel, Apr 19, 2013.

1. deanzel

deanzel New Member

Hey all,

I have quite a bit of anime on a Synology DS1512+ NAS and I love using Plex from it to stream video to my Sony NSZ-GS7. However, I finally figured out the reason why some of my videos (mostly Anime mkvs) wouldn't display properly when direct streaming and it is due to the the NSZ-GS7 not being able to properly decode Hi10p / 10-bit video (has 10-bit color rather than the normal 8-bit). At 720p I would get a lot of artifacting while at 1080p, the video would just freeze while the audio was fine. Things are ok if I transcode the video with Plex, but it is incredibly taxing for my DS1512+ (just an Intel Atom D2700 processor). It barely works for 720p some times and absolutely not for 1080p Hi10p files.

My question is if there are any GTV players (or any other streaming devices) that have Plex clients that can decode Hi10p / 10-bit video natively on the hardware? I've tried looking and it doesn't look very good... :(

10-bit video is mostly used in Anime currently as it has great benefits in terms of quality and size reduction with it. Does anyone know of any streaming devices on the horizon that could do this? I don't want to have to purchase an HTPC/Mac mini or constantly have to hookup my labtop to my tv just to watch certain types of anime. Thanks.