Quantcast

Wizarm Crowd-Funding Campaign Aims To Build ARM TV Box With DVR Capabilities

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 8, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Wizarm crowd-funding campaign aims to build an ARM-powered TV box with DVR capabilities - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Oct. 7, 2013

-- Devices that let you run Android apps and games on your TV are a dime a dozen (or as cheap as $30 anyway). But the Wizarm might be the most powerful, feature-packed model to date.

It's a set-top box with a dual-core ARM Cortex-A15 processor, 16GB of storage, 2GB of RAM, a large number of input and output options, and the ability to act as a digital video recorder. That means not only can you use it to bring content to your TV, you can also save live video for later viewing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Interesting - this device has an HDMI Input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I couldn't see anything about an internal tuner for recording TV. I did see this:

And to that I say nonsense. Good luck to anybody participating in the funding of this pie in the sky product.

4. kento

kento New Member

Just connect any HDMI device to the input and it will record as well as upscale/downscale or overlay at will. They have a video in their update section (on the indiegogo page) showing the board recording from a PS3 at 1080p60

5. ChrisG8

As far as I know there are no legal products available in the US that can do this. Recording an HDMI signal requires defeating digital copy protection, a clear violation of the DMCA, not to mention a violation of the license to build the product with an HDMI input. I consider the chances this device will accomplish this and be marketed in the US approximately zero.

6. kento

kento New Member

Oh so you mean, there is as much chance than with HDfury, fine for me ;)
    Accomplish this ? Sure, in the US ? i don't care as i'm in the EU !

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. CatfishRivers

Isn't $299 (the price after the fundraising period) a bit high for only a dual-core chip? I'm not advocating for or against it - just posting another video here for informational purposes.

Wizarm: HDMI Recording in Action [S01 E02]:

*Published on Oct 3, 2013

WiZARM provides a bleeding marvelous HDMI-input design that feeds the Camera input of the Exynos5 SoC. Never before handling of digital video stream has been that easy! Retrieve your incoming video stream from any of the camera software available for android phone or tablet.

Here is a quick video to show you the magical HDMI input that we developed for the Wizarm.
    We apologize for the flicker on screen, that is a consequence of filming a tv/monitor without the right sync angle.

More videos will follow shortly covering responsiveness, picture quality and more.

The above video presents the following Wizarm aspects:

- Taking a screenshot from a HDMI input at 1080p60
    - Recording a movie clip from a HDMI input at 1080p60
    - Launching XBMC on the Wizarm (check out how fast XBMC starts!)
    + a few others.

Want to learn more about Wizarm, visit: Wizarm
    Our indiegogo campaign page: Wizarm: A synergic mediabox for smart handling of digital streams | Indiegogo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  8. ChrisG8

deleted duplicate

9. ChrisG8

HDFury doesn't record HDMI, converts HDMI to analog video and audio, although I believe it isn't a legal product either and is nothing more than a fringe product not available through mainstream retailers. If this is the goal of this kickstarter program, a fringe product nobody will ever see available through any mainstream retailer, I don't believe it will ever be funded and if funded and is ever available, won't include HDMI recording.

I take it you aren't aware of any legal products marketed in the US that record an HDMI signal either, HDMI has been around ten years or so now. I will repeat, good luck to anyone participating in the funding of this Kickstarter program. These silly Kickstarter programs that never amount to anything other than money flushed down the toilet are always funny to me, there is a good reason this product isn't being developed by any company that must comply with the law.

10. ChrisG8

Ignore everything it does other than record HDMI, that is the only thing about the product that will generate interest at this price and there is no competition at any price, for good reason.

11. kento

kento New Member

From their website: HDfury converts HDMI to either DIGITAL or ANALOG. not only analog. HDCP is not law, what is law in US/CA/UK is DMCA, DMCA states that copyright owners have to grant authorization to bypass copy protection. Problem with HDCP is that it's always ON, thus it's not an effective protection under the LAW. Because if you are the owner of the copyrighted content then you are unable to access your own content or grant authorization to anyone for doing so. There is a court case ANTARES PRO vs WARNER that should be ruled in court pretty soon. So better wait the results of it before making conclusion no ?

12. kento

kento New Member

It depends what kind of core you compare, if you gonna compare QUAD CORE A9 vs DUAL CORE A15, then DUAL CORE A15 is above. (You can see many cheap device with QUAD CORE A9 especially from Rockchip or other china brand, they just sux, really only Exynos/OMAP/SNAPDRAGON/TEGRA have good SoC). Now, Samsung just released their homesync device, featuring the same Exynos5 Dual, less connectivity option and they include a HDD for 299usd. So I guess the price is ok since it's currently $259 with worldwide shipping for free and it have more connectors and that nasty HDMI input that seems to scare people for no reason. You guys should wonder why X360 can play copyrighted content without HDCP or why the new PS4 will not (not at release time but later) act like the PS3 was doing. So the industry giants can bypass HDCP at will but the small team would not be allowed to do so... I prefer to give my money to the small team trying to make something fair for everyone, rather than big companies trying to rule the world by changing the rules at will when it doesn't work like they want.

13. ChrisG8

There have already been court cases and the DMCA has been upheld in those cases. I will read about the Antares Pro vs. Warner case but if a pending court case is the justification for a kickstarter project, with hope of the law being overturned, I guess I have heard of sillier things before but none that I remember.

14. kento

kento New Member

If there have already been court cases with HDCP, then you are right and i'm wrong, can you list one ?

Me and some billions can't agree on that, we don't live in your country apparently ;)
    Hey, The World is not North America and GB !!! If you have an industry lobby law in those countries, it's not the rest of the world's problem.

More seriously, why would they need any justification or care about such thing in the first time since they are in Asia ?
    Asia and the rest of the world is a WWWAAAAYYYY enough market for such limited production and small project !
    Of course you will never find such device in a physical store by going out for casual shopping.

Question for the DMCA countries law makers ;)
    Why the new PS4 will not act like the PS3 is doing in regard of digital cp (not at release time from their own words but later through update) and why what's allowed on PS4 is still something at "so called legal risk" for others on PS3 in same DMCA countries? it's all nonsense

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  15. ChrisG8

HDCP is a form of digital copy protection and is covered by the DMCA. I am not sure what you are saying with that post, but it really doesn't matter. I have read the DMCA and I don't believe the product as described will ever see the light of day in the US, except possibly as an illegal import. I doubt if it is ever a reality in any form.

16. guest

guest Active Member

In which countries is the DMCA (or similar legal construction) the "law of the land"? In the U.S., yes. All English-speaking countries would be a good guess, too - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the U.K. The developed world, such as Europe? Is Europe a signatory to the DMCA? Do any countries object to the DMCA?

17. kento

kento New Member

EUROPE have EUCD that each country have to implement in their own local laws with the exceptions that they want. ex: in germany you are allowed to bypass copy protection for creating a private copy for every digital copyrighted content that you own.
    I think your guess is correct, to all english speaking countries. That's not even close to 1/7 of the world, anyway, geographical limitations can always be added to that device or any other, as seen in the past with Japan BR player and others equipment. Or various firmwares or what ever... i mean this is a pointless discussion. I once bought a Sammy BR player in retail shop and it could bypass hdcp by applying a remote control sequence on it ;) may be your whole electronic store is full of DMCA prohibited devices lol. Take it easy it's just an ineffective cp cracked 13 years ago :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  18. TheFreeman

TheFreeman New Member

Haha funny, I have read on thedroidguy.com that this box might be the most powerful android box to date ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013