Quantcast

Wither Google TV: Nearly Two Years Later, It Still Awaits Hulu Plus

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Wither Google TV: Nearly Two Years Later, It Still Awaits Hulu Plus (click for full article)

"Did you hear the news? Hulu Plus made it to Apple TV last week. Did Hell freeze over? No. The freezing over of Hell still awaits the arrival of Hulu Plus on Google TV.

The Promise

I feel like I'm the last person in the world who still cares about Hulu Plus ever being offered through Google TV. I suppose I shouldn't care. It's not like I even turn Google TV on regularly. For all Google TV promised, my inexpensive little Roku box still beats Google TV hands-down.

For those who don't remember, Google TV was pitched as making it easy for us to find TV content anywhere. In fact, that was one of the reasons I began covering it through our Search Engine Land sister-site. People are trying to find television content. It's a popular search activity, so this was a new way Google was delivering results.

The Roadblocks

Google immediately hit a roadblock when major US television networks began blocking Google TV users from reaching their content online. A little payback for those networks feeling like Google doesn't want to pay them enough for their content or doesn't do enough to stop piracy. Ironically, that type of action probably increased the chances of piracy, driving people off the more controlled platform of Google TV and into the Wild West of their web browser.

All still might have been find if Hulu was made available through Google TV. Do that, and people in the US (where Google TV was targeted) could find plenty of TV content. It seemed like an ideal solution, too. Most of the same TV networks upset with Google would get income from Hulu Plus subscribers coming through Google's own device.

But Hulu Plus never arrived. Today, Google TV is still waiting for it. Hulu Plus made it to Xbox. It's made it to my Samsung TV. It's made it to some Android phones and tablets. Last week, as I said, it made it to Apple TV. But Google TV? Forget it.

I checked with both Hulu and Google last week for a status update. The story was the same from both. No news to share. At least we're past pretending there's some technical challenge.

While We Wait: Improve TV Search?

While we're waiting, here's a thought. Google TV has an excellent TV search feature that's never made it out into Google's regular search:"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If he is going to claim something like this, he should support it with reasons. Nothing could be further from the truth for my needs but somebody in the market without any knowledge about the differences might believe him and buy the cheaper Roku.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I often see people at various forums claim Roku is better and when I try to discuss the differences and why I think Google TV is far superior, nobody is interested in a detailed specific comparison. Apparently Roku is easy to use and that is all that matters. No web browser and no YouTube sure means Roku would be of little use to me.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Will someone tell the writers of articles that claim google tv is crap unless it has hulu plus about playon.tv? Personally I could care less about hulu plus since I spend enough already on netflix. For all I use hulu for I wont get a hulu plus account since I have the actual tv made by sony and can watch a lot of that stuff on hulu over the air.

Google itself said google tv is not meant to be a cord cutting device and is meant the work in uniason with a tv dish or cable subscription. Too many of these writers of articles also don't say that most of their testing was done on the cheaper logitech google tv instead of a regular google tv that has a tv tuner as well as there is a big difference between the two especially if one does plan to cut the cord.

The google tv with ota tuners can pull in local stations with a simple antenna as well for those that like local sports, etc.

I get so tired of reviewers telling how bad google tv is without making an effort to review all branches of the google tv set and only limiting their reviews based on one device out of many.

Most reviewers don't even make an effort to push the device to it's limits like the forum users here do now.