Quantcast

Wish: mute TV while using Pandora

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by zuidervled, Nov 3, 2010.

1. zuidervled

zuidervled New Member

It would be great if there was a way to mute the TV while allowing an app to continue streaming sound. Case-in-point: I like to browse TV while listening to Pandora, but there is no way to control the sound on the TV source. This would also be useful for other apps, such as the media player, or even the video-content streaming apps.

I suspect I'm not the only person who would like to see this functionality.

• Like Like x 6
  2. csb059

csb059 New Member

Right now I have Sony blu-ray hooked up to my basement tv (no home theater) and I can mute the stb (in my case Uverse) directly to achieve this. But I specifically have the Uverse remote set up to not run the tv functions and only control the stb. This also allows me to stream a video via Google TV with sound but have the TV in the PiP box on mute.

3. calemr

calemr New Member

What else would be cool is if when you were watching TV the commercials automatically muted and it switched to PIP with pandora playing. Screw the TV companies and there "commercials".

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I guess you could use the actual cable box remote to mute the signal while still listening to the TV audio.

5. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

You could also program the cable box's mute button to a programmable key on your Revue controller. (I'm unaware if the Sony controller is as customizable as the one from Logitech).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. lokivog

lokivog New Member

zuidervled I totally agree with you that google tv needs to add this feature. I watch a lot of sports and would love to be able to keep the game on in dual mode while listening to music or whatever else while I'm browsing in google tv. The other day I wanted to show my wife our companies new youtube video but didn't want to miss any of the game doing so... needless to say she could probably care less about seeing the video so it worked out for her that google tv doesn't offer this feature (b/c you know I'm not turning off the game) but the point is that I should be able to show it to her while keeping an eye on the game.

Also just to note, I have a comcast box and pressing the mute button on the comcast controller mutes the tv not the box.

7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Ummm, press the dual view button on the remote. Go to youtube.com watch video and game.

8. lokivog

lokivog New Member

ummmm, ok I would be happy to do that. Let me know how to turn the game sound off so I can listen to the youtube video while I watch both.

9. csb059

csb059 New Member

Lokivog - If you "unlink" your Comcast remote from the TV (program the remote with a code for a different mfg of TV) then it will only control the Comcast box.

I don't use the color buttons on the Sony remote currently but one may be able to program one of these to control the Comcast mute function as SpyderMS states above.

10. eball218

eball218 New Member

I agree i wish that there was a way to select between the cable box and the TV for the volume. It would be great to check out internet video and or listen to Pandora while the TV is playing commercials. The idea of using my cable remote to unlink it from the TV and use it to mute the stb is great except since i have installed my GTV i have hid the stb out of sight out of mind. If anyone finds a way to do this with the Sony remote please let me know.

11. hakabo

hakabo New Member

ditto on the mute wish. i have dish network and they say i cannot adjust the volume on the sat. receiver... i would love to have pandora playing while watching whatever...

12. martyhyams

martyhyams New Member

I found this thread while looking for the same answer. Google TV can add this feature in an update if they wanted.

13. RevueHopeful

RevueHopeful New Member

I have a Logitech Revue and wanted to put television or movies up on the screen while listening to music (in my tests, using the Revue Media Player). I did not find a way to mute the cable box signal in GoogleTV. I am a COX cable/internet subscriber. I found a way to program the COX universal remote to use a function called 'Volume Lock to CABLE mode'. It forces the volume and mute buttons on the controller, to operate those functions on the set-top-box, instead of the television. I was able to then see the volume and mute on-screen, coming from my Scientific Atlanta EXPLORER 4240HDC. However, they DID NOT stop the audio from coming through the HDMI (and through the Revue, to the receiver). The only way I have found to get this type of functionality was to go to my settings menu on the cable box and switch the audio output to 'Dolby Digital Audio' (instead of 'HDMI'), and that did the trick. This method seems more of a workaround than a solution. I know Honeycomb (and probably a complete overhaul) is around the corner. Hopefully they will include this feature, to have separate controls for the different audio sources. I think it is just simply intuitive and should be there, to cover all audio sources' functionality, no matter what equipment setup users might have. After all, our entire entertainment environment is inside the GoogleTV experience, so we need complete control of all the components inside!