Quantcast

Wise TIVI Multimedia Stick Looks To Challenge The Ouya

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 28, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

*Note* I am not convinced that this TIVI will eventually run the official Google TV platform - The TIVI web site sure looks like this is an "android TV" device. So many articles and internet writers are intra-changing android TV with Google TV that it gets irritating after awhile.

However the Phandroid article makes mention that TIVI will run some Google TV features such as PIP and searching across platforms. So I decided to post this here in the Google TV General Discussion section (instead of the off-topic section).

There does seem to be some nice hardware - including an android TV stick, a set-top box, TV-cam, nice looking controllers etc.:

Wise TIVI multimedia stick looks to challenge the OUYA (click for full article)

posted on Nov 28th 2012 by Quentyn Kennemer

"There's no doubt that a ton of people were surprised by the OUYA's meteoric rise. As a mere idea it generated tons of interest - in the form of multi-million dollar funding on Kickstarter - and is poised to be one of the most highly anticipated Android-powered boxes to date. With great success comes a big spotlight, though, and many other companies are beginning to shine it on a segment of the television computing market that has great potential.

The latest player is Wise, and its Wise TIVI product is looking to whisk folks away with its sleek and modern looks, but also its impressive specs. Well, they're not quite as impressive as the OUYA's but when you look at the size of this thing you won't think much of the differences.

Packed into what could be the size of a flash drive is a 1.6GHz Cortex-A9 dual-core processor with quad-core Mali-400 MP graphics, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of internal storage, WiFi, a micro-USB port, a full-sized USB port, a TF Card slot for up to 16GB of additional storage and more. It connects to your HDTV using a built-in HDMI port, and as simply as you can plug it in you can transform any HDTV into a smart TV.

The unit will run Jelly Bean 4.2 to start, and it's our understanding that you will be able to get your content straight from the Google Play Store so you already have a pretty large backlog of apps and games at your disposal once it launches. We're told that the full Google TV experience will be enabled here, enabling users to search for their favorite TV and movies across a multitude of services and utilize picture-in-picture to let you watch and surf at the same time.

Wise TIVI will be compatible with several accessories such as a wireless gaming controller, and an "air" keyboard/mouse for wireless control and navigation. You can also choose between several different colors, including green, blue, white and black.

The smallish multimedia stick will also be flanked by a more traditional set-top box with component connections, but it will only come with Android 4.2. A third unit, the Wise Camera, will give users the full Wise experience with the ability to do live video chats and take pictures.

You can't get these just yet, but a pre-sale period has begun for those who might be interested in one in the future. The Wise Box will run you $59, the portable stick will run you $79, and the camera-enabled unit will cost you $89.

We haven't been able to get much information on whether or not the accessories will be sold separately, but you can be sure we've asked to find out. Wise tells us that its Kickstarter campaign will also be starting up soon so there may be a chance to get in on some unique pledge deals. We'll be on the lookout for that so stay tuned to Phandroid as more details of this promising bundle of joy are unveiled. Head to Wise's site for more information in the meantime."

http://wisetivi.com/ (click for the Wise-TIVI web site)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see an HDMI input so I don't think there is any chance that this device will be an official Google TV device. Comparing hardware to the other Android TV boxes I have read about, iMito MX1 and MK808, the only thing I notice is the TIVI version only has 4GB flash storage, the others have 8GB. I really don't think these devices will amount to anything except frustration for buyers but we will see soon enough, a lot are available at reasonable prices now so there will be some takers.

3. CatfishRivers

There is a slot for an optional TF Card to add up to 16GB of Flash storage.

The thing that looks the most interesting to me is the TV-camera unit for $89. The TV-Cam unit includes the same TIVI android TV functionality as the stick and the set-top box. So with the $89 purchase one would not need to also purchase the TV stick. Compared to the prices that Logitech wanted for the Revue plus the additional cost of the expensive Logitech Revue TV Cam - this $89 TV-Cam seems like a bargain - and I think Skype is a more in-demand camera platform.

I am not endorsing or recommending this product - just posting for informational purposes. From what I've read a lot of these kind of android TV sticks from China have firmware issues.

CAMERA | WISE TIVI | MAIN MATERIALS

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I agree based on everything I have read, firmware issues are many and fixes are nonexistant so far. What company will provide updates? We have enough problems with Google TV, some of the world's largest consumer electronics companies are making Google TV. I can't even figure out what companies are manufacturing these "Android TV" boxes.

It is unfortunate the Revue video communication system is so limited, I considered buying the camera and using it to communicate with my son and his children but my daughters don't have a Revue and aren't going to get one. I need to figure out how to use Skype or something that can work with other Android devices as well as iPhones. Hopefully I can get something for my tablet if I can't figure out anything that will work with Google TV.

5. CatfishRivers

Wise TIVI has a Twitter feed that is active. They tweeted that they are hoping for a January rollout of their devices:

https://twitter.com/WISETIVI

The Wise TIVI camera unit is something that I'm considering for possible purchase. I read that the camera will be 720P HD.

I would like to read some user reviews first though before I decide.