Quantcast

Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by guest, Nov 10, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

I was looking at the details of a wireless router, and it included this:

System Requirements - OS: Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit), Windows XP, Mac OS X

Does that mean that it couldn't be used with a Google TV???

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No it doesn't mean it won't work with Google TV, but if you would list the make and model, someone here might have some experience with that particular router.

3. guest

guest Active Member

I was researching using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with my Logitech Revue. catfishrivers mentioned that it would work, but it would need to be done through a router. Most VPN service providers will offer their service through a router, but it has to use DD-WRT firmware. That firmware can be tricky to install yourself. So I figured it's best to buy the router pre-flashed with DD-WRT by a manufacturer. Buffalo is one such manufacturer.

I was interested in L2TP, a security protocol. I wrote to Buffalo about about another one of their routers and asked them if it had L2TP. They said no, only PPTP and OpenVPN.

The next day, I came across this website. It allows you to search the features contained in 2700 different routers. SG :: Broadband Hardware Search

I searched Buffalo routers which had L2TP. There were four results. The most interesting one was this: Amazon.com: BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router WZR-300HP: Computers & Accessories

I've never used DLNA, but have come across the term on this forum. This router is DLNA-certified.

If I don't buy this router, I may buy the Samsung Chromebook. If I go the latter route, it won't be necessary to buy a router as the VPN service provider I discovered the other day works with Chrome OS. I believe it works with DD-WRT, too. So the service would work with either the ChromeBook or the Buffalo router. Hush Tunnel