Quantcast

wireless mouse ?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by MO74, Jul 31, 2011.

1. MO74

MO74 New Member

I am not using my Google TV very much at all due to the stupid Logitech keyboard mouse pad. I hate it !!!! :mad:

Is there a way to control the screen with a wireless mouse ? How would that work ?

Thanks.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A wireless mouse will work (although it's not officially supported at this time). You plug the mouse into the USB port. I tried it and one thing that I noticed is there is no 'right click' function. Also I found that without a table (desk) to use my mouse with the mouse was not very practical to use. If your sitting in a chair it's kind of hard to use the mouse just resting it on your leg. Maybe some kind of flat surface like a tray would work from a chair. However you can't do typing functions with a mouse.

3. MO74

MO74 New Member

I have the Logitech Revue keyboar and I don't see a USB port on it. Do you mean the actual Logitech box ? If so then i would need a long wire ! i always thought wireless mouse meant literally, wireless.

4. jerseyfirefighter

jerseyfirefighter New Member

Your being a little confusing. Your topic reads wireless mouse, which usually means the mouse is independent without wires and receives/transmits signals from a usb transmitter/dongle. So yes, you would plug the transmitter/receiver usb into the set top box, and the mouse would be wireless, with a range of roughly 15 ft depending on the manufacturer and technology. The transmitter/receiver is completely separate from the mouse.

5. dbuss

dbuss New Member

If you use a wireless mouse, such as the Logitech MX, it will connect directly to the Revue without the need for a USB transmitter/receiver.

6. MO74

MO74 New Member

thanks so much for the replies - i really did not understand how wireless devices worked until i asked our tech guy at work yesterday. Now I get it and will definately try the Logitech MX. Thanks again.

7. jerseyfirefighter

jerseyfirefighter New Member

Thats probably one of the more interesting albeit minor details that ive heard about this device. Im surprised they took the time to build in a receiver capable of accepting a wireless mouse sans the mouse receiver.

8. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Logitech have a series of what they call "Unifying" devices. The Revue is one of these devices, so it's capable of working with a whole host of other "Unifying" mice and keyboards - pretty cool feature!

9. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I currently use the Logitech MX mouse, and it works fine for the most basic features that I currently use it for.

10. MO74

MO74 New Member

I bought the Logitech MX mouse today and will try it tomorrow.

if I understand you correctly, the mouse will communicate directly withtthe Revue without the USB transmitter plugged into the Revue box ? will ANY Logitech wireless mouse do this same thing ? I only ask bc the MX cost me $59 and they had much cheaper Logitech wireless mice at Staples. Thanks for all the help.

11. sparkyscott21

Well good question.
    I have tried 3 different Logitech mice, and, the Logitech I had used that looked just like that one w/o the chrome small moldings around it,I can't remember the model, think it was a MX1100, but, it did plug it in the Revue when I used it though.. but that worked well also..
    I am NOT sure the third button on the thumb part by your left thumb was working exactly as advertised, but for my purposes, it was just fine..

I had a regular MX mouse a while back it was fine...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  12. MO74

MO74 New Member

Victory !!! This is awesome, I bought the Logitech M305 wirelss mouse at Target for $11 on sale and presto ! it works great !!! This is going to change the way I use google tv. I have my keyboard and my mouse on a nice comfy laptop padded desk and it is perfect for armchair internet suring. Now my husband can use it too, he hated the mousepad also. :)

13. sparkyscott21

Cool dogs!!
    I am so glad that all is well until the the new op comes out later this year!!
    Congrats!!

14. joker

joker Guest

I use the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 from Amazon, $13.95, and it works great. Being an Optical mouse, it works on any surface, ( bed, chair, leg, etc...)

15. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

I bought an M305 mouse based on this comment and it won't pair with my revue - says 'Unknown error occurred' during pairing. Did you plug a receiver into the usb port? or use the built-in unifying receiver? Was only $4.50 on e-bay, so not a big loss if I can't get it working, but was hopeful. Thanks.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It might be possible that you have a version of the mouse which isn't Unifying compatible. First double-check if the Unifying symbol is on the bottom of the mouse. Did you try adding it per this Logitech Knowledge Base Article: 19841

17. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

I found this information on the logitech support forum:

Mice with M/N M-R0003 use receiver P/N 993-000135 (AMR) or P/N 993-000136 (EMEA - Europe) - This is non-Unifying

M305's with M/N M-R0012 use receiver P/N 993-000439 OR P/N 993-000438, in order to determine which one please contact Logitech Customer Care at 1 646 454 3200

Mine is a M-R0012, but does not have any symbol under the model number. I guess not all M305s are compatible - bummer. Not a big deal. Thanks for the help.

18. MO74

MO74 New Member

All I did was plug the receiver into the usb port on the revue, put batteries in the mouse and it worked immediatly, no onscreen message or anything, I just suddenly saw the cursor on my tv screen.

19. sarreq

sarreq Member

but the unifying receiver only works with other logitech unifying devices. no bluetooth, no other 2.4ghz devices.

20. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Could someone post a list of these Unifying devices?

Thanks!