Quantcast

Wireless issue!!

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by sonicrsa, May 28, 2011.

1. sonicrsa

sonicrsa New Member

I have the 40 inch tv that i havent even had a week. everything worked fine until 3:30 yest morning the tv did some update.. after the update it comes up "resolving host" when accessing any web app. the wireless is still connected and i even rebooted tv and deleted my wireless from tv and reconfigured it. I have 3 other devices connected to wireless with no problems. I have the tv hardwired right now and it works fine.. again, everything worked fine before that update came thru.. Any ideas?

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

You can't have the Ethernet plugged in and be on wireless at the same time. If you are wired right now then stay that way...it is better than wireless.

3. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

Makes me leary to put the update on. Wired isn't an option for me and the N wireless works great in my setup. Post back if you figure anything out. I have heard that sometimes after an update some users have to do a factory reset to 'fix' issues. Not sure if that would help you out or not.

4. sonicrsa

sonicrsa New Member

I Never had both connected together. I only added it wired when the wireless stopped working after the update. I was on phone with Customer support for over 2 hours going over everything and had done a Factory reset 3 times and rebooted the Router.. The TV says that it is connected to my router, but its acting like it is not connected to the internet.

Sony Tech told me that what ever the prob is, that i need to contact another number for extensive support. I will call them tomorrow.
    And i would rather have Wired setup myself, but the TV is just a week old today and if there is something wrong with it then i want it fixed.

Thanks for the Reply's, Once i get this figured out i will let you know what had to be done in case any of you ever have the same issue.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If your good with router settings, I would suggest you log in to your router and copy down the existing primary dns and secondary dns settings and see if changing them to use opendns will fix the resolving host problem as usually that means problems with your dns server I believe.

6. sonicrsa

sonicrsa New Member

Thx for all the input.. Tech support got it working... They told me that there was a conflict with web apps running when the update came.. I had to go in to runnings apps and close all the ones that contain web content like goggle browser and youtube. Then i had to do a hard restart of tv. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys at the same time and hold them until the tv shuts off. (For those that did not know) Thank you again everybody.

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I just dealt with Sony google tv tech support and they really helped me fix a problem I was having with my tv as well. Had to reset my tv and do one thing different in the setup that I never would of did without them but it really helped :) I for one really appreciate their patience with me :)

8. SlimFady

SlimFady New Member

What was the one thing Sony Tech Support had you do, Trallyus, to get your TV going, other than resetting it?

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

My problem was when I would set up my dish dvr , it would show HD channels on my google tv whats on now listing when I would look what was playing. They told me to reset the google tv and when setting up the dish dvr with google tv, tell it that I don't have hbo and all the premium channels and that will remove the HD channels from my setup.

I have to do it this way since I have an older Dish Box hooked up the the tv via my coaxial cable. After I did that I go through my list of channels and there is far less to remove. :)

10. HighLife

HighLife New Member

Guys looking for a little help, recently set up my Google TV and when trying to set up the WIFI the TV finds the network with out a problem but when trying to do the updates it says that the internet connection is not consistent. Looking at my laptop I am showing 144Mbps in the same room on the same connection. Hard wire is not an option at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and pick up the HomePlug AV (or higher) Powerline Network from either Logitech or Netgear.

12. HighLife

HighLife New Member

I'll give it a try, thanks
    any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

13. ducksfly

ducksfly New Member

Has anyone had this issue with wired connections? Updating my 32" Sony TV tonight killed my ethernet connection and I can't get the wireless to work as a substitute, it hangs on find an IP address.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you ever used the wireless connection, you have to make sure and disable it then reboot. Otherwise there's Private Network attached to your Ethernet port which has its own subnet and DHCP server. The information is all there on the network control panel.

15. bpeterso2000

bpeterso2000 New Member

Spent a couple of hours on the phone with tech support this morning, they had us try many of the same items listed in this thread, however we continued to have problems and the issue ended up getting escalated to level-3 support (engineering group); they stated that they were in touch with the Google development team who was working on a patch for this known issue; apparently at the time this "known issue" was not communicated to level-1 & level-2 tech support.

Symptoms: After the upgrade was applied wireless connectivity failed; tried Ethernet connectivity and that worked. Setup another similar TV next to it with an old version of the firmware and that TV's wireless connected fine using the same network settings. We did a factory reset on the TV as described above, then we were able to finally get what appeared to be a wireless connection using a static address, but DHCP still failed (DHCP continued to work as expected on the TV with the older firmware). Even though it showed that it had successfully connected underneath the SSID label, the network status screen showed the WI-FI status as "unknown"; the TV failed to connect. After working with the Sony engineering group it was recommended that we wait to upgrade our remaining TV's until after the patch is released.

Good news is that it appears the upgrade fixed MP3 support inside the TV's browser, MP3 files now play normally and no longer get stuck in infinite loop (every other version of Chrome other than the TV's handled MP3's just fine).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  16. ducksfly

ducksfly New Member

Yeah, I did all that. I eventually called Sony's support and was told, after being transfered to higher-up's, that there is a known issue with Westell routers and modems that completely kills internet access. They're working on the issue but I was a little uneasy as without internet access I'm not sure how I would update my unit when the patch does come out. The guy on the phone didn't know either and only said that I would be called or emailed when the issue was resolved.

And now I can't do anything but play Xbox with my TV because I bought an Internet TV to supplement my lack of cable. So if anyone has Westell router and/or modem, now you know.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm curious, do you have an old router from before you signed with your current ISP that you can put between the the westwall and the Google TV?

18. ducksfly

ducksfly New Member

I really wish I did. Not that I don't believe support, but I would really like to confirm on my own that my brand of router is really the issue. I plan to call support again since the man I spoke with said they'd hope to have some sort of plan in place within a few days.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try asking your friends or "rent" one from Best Buy.