Quantcast

Wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse question

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by zen2go, Nov 7, 2011.

1. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I have a Pixxo USB Bluetooth keyboard and mouse that works fine with my PS3 Slim but doesn't work with my new Sony 46" GT1. Is it because the USB port on the GTV is a different version. If so, will I have to get a new BT mini-dongle, or a new keyboard altogether?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wireless keyboard and mouse compatibility is iffy with Google TV. As you know may know, Google TV doesn't actually have a Bluetooth receiver built into any product by Sony or Logitech. Each of the companies uses their own wireless connection technology. Therefore you're going to have to rely on the USB dongle to represent them as an HID compliant input device. Otherwise, they require drivers to install for the operating system support which is currently impossible.

In my years of playing with wireless keyboards and mice and different technologies, I've found that the Bluetooth wireless protocol is a battery killer and uses up too much juice. More power than its actually necessary than necessary even when idle. I know that the technology is improving and they're slowly catching up to some of the efficient technologies. However, I just can't recommend them to anyone.

My recommendation if you're considering using a keyboard mouse combination is to look at Logitech's Unify compatible keyboard and mice. The wireless technology is secure, power efficient, and has far reach for usable distance. If you already have a Logitech Revue there's a built-in Unify controller, so there's no need to use up a USB port with a dongle. You can just pair it with using the built-in control panel. And if you have the Sony line of Google TV products then you can just plug in the included Unify transmitter.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I'm thinking of using the iPhone app media Remote, but the reviews are pretty consistently negative, especially regarding the inappropriate ads. Sigh...

4. zen2go

zen2go New Member

The GoogleTV Remote app works pretty well. It can even turn the TV On/Off! MediaRemote app can't do that.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, Google's Google TV remote App also has the voice interaction. However, it can't identify music either with TrackID nor does it have the capability to push or pull web URLs like Sony's MediaRemote. They're small apps, so there's no reason not to have both on your iOS or Android device and use them as necessary.

6. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Yah, I really like that search in the app. I love to show it off to my husband.:p
    I just gave him my old D1 maybe I should put the app on for him. Or...I could just let him keep thinking I'm magic. LOL;)

On another note. I asked Logitech if we could get their remote app on Amazon App Store because I am getting a Kindle Fire.
    If not, I will hopefully be able to side-load it. But I have a feeling I will be side-loading a lot of apps.:confused:
    Now, if I could just have my favorite channels on the remote app like the harmony remote with channel icons...that would be sweet!

I really wish the Vizio 8" tab would get rooted. That thing has an IR blaster and an universal remote app.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree, hope its rooted soon! That universal remote and built-in IR blaster is going to be Vizio their "killer app".