Quantcast

Wired Internet with the Co Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by yorT, Jan 9, 2013.

1. yorT

yorT New Member

I currently have my co star wired instead of wireless. I ran a speed test using the co star settings and the fastest I'm downloading is 7.8 Mb/s. However when I run the speedtest on my computer, which is also wired, I get over 19 Mb/s. I've also ran the speedtest on my phone, wireless, and I'm getting around 12 Mb/s. Does anyone know the reason for the slow speeds on the co star? I'm using CAT5e ethernet cables, should I use CAT6? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. yorT

yorT New Member

Is everyone getting the same speeds with their co star wired as they are with their computer wired?

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Basically I'm getting just about the same speeds on the PC and the Co-Star (See Above Photo Of My Co-Star Speeds) .... The above test was done via the Co-Star using the Google chrome web browser ...

4. spindoctur

spindoctur New Member

I am getting ridiculously slow Internet. It is so slow, I can typically not even get to Speedtest.net to do a speed test. It just hangs up on their loading screen. I have 100Mb connection and typically get around 60Mb if my Chromebook is wired (to the exact same cable that the Costar is hooked into). Have there been reports of a problem with Motorola Surfboard 6580 gateway?

Most of my testing has to come from the Costar's native speed test under network settings, because I can't even get anything to happen on speed test. With that test, I am getting about 1Mb on average.

It's not like I use my Costar for surfing, but its affecting my streaming. Vizio support told me the last firmware update would fix it, but no. I haven't calmed myself enough to contact them again. Anyone have suggestions?

5. john30308

john30308 New Member

I have exactly the same experience. Doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless. My Co-Star can't seem to get past the 6-7 MB/s mark, yet my computer is +20MB wired. Same thing wireless. Co-Star same 5-7MB results - computer +15MB. My cell phone (wi-fi) even gets 10MB.

6. jdillinger

jdillinger New Member

Wizdom, mind running the speed test in the system settings built into co-star under network settings?

I'm having this issue as well.

7. yorT

yorT New Member

Yeah I've yet to get speedtest.net to work on my GTV Chrome browser. I have gotten speakeasy speed test to work but still the results are not as good as with the wired computer. I'm going to take a screen shot of my network speeds with the built in speed test on the co star are report those.

I also use the Motorola SBG6580, not sure if there is handshake issues between that and the Co Star. I've tried going into the Motorola SBG6580 router settings but couldn't find a way to "unleash" all my network is cableable of to the Co-Star.

8. yorT

yorT New Member

This is the best result with the built in speedtest on the co-star.

Attached Files:

9. amartin

amartin New Member

I think I recall seeing someone note that the internal speed test does not work correctly. You're probably getting a faster data rate than it says there.

Does the speedtest.net mobile app work on the co-star(I'm not at home right now to check)?

10. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Per the speakeasy test, I get around 20mbps on my pc and 15mbps on my co-star, both wired directly to my Verizon Fios router. Since the 4.6 update it basically never hicups for anything i use it for, i.e. Netflix, Amazon, Plex, and YouTube. I am very happy with the speed, even if it's slightly slower than my pc.

One other note: when connected to wireless the co-star got around 8mbps while my laptop gets around 18mbps. Weird.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this issue is related to the router part of your Verizon router/modem combination device. I understand people are getting the lower speed tests with a wired connection (and also wireless) - but has anyone tried this with just a pure modem only (no router/modem combinatation devices) to see if the results are the same?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. yorT

yorT New Member

I use a Modem and Router all in one with the Motorola SBG6580 and these are the speeds I get. I forgot to post the speakeasy results.

Also I'm wondering if the built in speed test is based off download and upload speeds?

13. CatfishRivers

I believe the slow speed issue is due to the way some routers interact with the Co-Star.

Here (see link below) is a thread with some suggestions for slow routers:

Internet Slow Through Router - Routers - Networking

* One suggestion that worked for several people was to disable their firewall.

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Everybody don't get slow or low speeds, when the do the speed test via the Co-Star ...

15. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

Don't use speedtest.net as well try a different speed test service as chrome didn't cope well with it for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

16. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It used to work great for me but recently the pop up ads are problematic, not sure how to stop it so I use other speed tests.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Speedtest.net Mini

Works great w/very little loading time. There is an Android speedtest app but it is not compatible w/GTV.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  18. CatfishRivers

I use the Comcast Xfinity speed test and it works good with my Logitech Revue:

XFINITY Speed Test

19. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I've noticed something else on the mini speedtest. If, after your test you select the nearest server it will take you to the full site and load in half the time as going directly to the site. But, and correct me if I'm wrong here, the speed is not in available broadband, but more accurately, in actual download and upload speeds. For example if you are seeing 20MBPs your actually speed via your router will be somewhat less.

Oh, and there is an auto-test feature via the above method...

20. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

Speedtests???? We don't need no freakin' speedtests!!!!!!!! Have you NOT been paying attention? We have the all powerful, all knowing Vizio CoStar. This magical box, sent down from heaven to the geniuses at Vizio Corp and whos' virtue is extolled by the all knowing prophets known as "Vizio CSR's" can defy logic, technology and physics.
    Your mere mortal Internet Service Provider caps your speed at 40MB....fuggedaboutit. Get your hands on the "supersweet", "awesome", "game changing" device. It will literally "flip the script" on your ISP.... (lol). By defying all known laws of physics, logic and technology YOUR CoStar will deliver up to 52MB of pure SPEED. SPEED is the name of the "GAME FUEL" for the Vizio Co-Star, without the speed fuel behind your Vizio Co-Star you are asking for trouble ...! ALL Internet Streaming Media Players Requires SPEED fuel, the faster your broadband speeds, the better ...!
    [​IMG]

The Above Speed Test Was Done On The magical Vizio Co-Star Via the Chrome Web Browser using The Website Speetest.net ... a 40MB Broadband Speed On the Home Network Via Century Link, But Notice the Broadband Speeds are Close To 52MB!!!! SWEET!!!!!!... (lol)

I know....I know. I'll give you a minute to compose yourself. How is this possible, you ask? Oh, ye of little faith. Don't you know that EVERYTHING has been tested on the CoStar and works (One Billion percent True)...(lol)....SWEET!!!!!....Woooooooooooooo!!! At the risk of being placed on "Double Secret Probation", excommunicated from the Vizio community, and losing my abilities to post supersized fonts at will, I'm going to let you in on the secret. Don't tell Vizio!!! I would cut and paste entire pages from the Vizio bible (their website) but i'm afraid that would go too far...(lol).

You see, the prophets at Vizio CSR use a super secret medium to communicate with us mere mortals. There are only a few of us with the WISDOM to receive and implement this knowledge...(lol). Here it comes, you ready....that super secret medium of infinite knowledge and unassailable truths (One Billion percent True) is none other than.....(drumroll)....YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!
    That's right, Youtube. Don't believe me? Just check out the following from this wondrous gift and you too can make your CoStar defy logic, technology and physics...(lol)....SWEET!!!!!....Woooooooooooooo!! !(One Billion percent True)

Posted from http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6397-speedtest-via-co-star.html
    Post # 8

"Let me explain just what I did, I took a Ethernet cable cut the ends off, striped the wires back, and taped each end real tight to the Ethernet cable that going into the Co-Star and the router ... This set up suppose to make you data speed super fast, some people said it does not work, others say it works, but it seems to be working OK for me ..(lol) Their is a YouTube video about this set up too ...!"
    [​IMG]
    Notice in the bottom above photo Ethernet CAT # 6 cable is totally unique and most of you have no idea what it's all about either, it's about SPEED ... 99% of you most likely don't have this type of Ethernet cable connected to your Co-Star ...

So, There you have it my friends, empirical PROOF, hard DATA tested (One Billion percent True)...(lol) Straight from those who know all, Vizio Corp via their infallible super secret medium.....YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!...(lol)....SWEET!!!!!.. ..Woooooooooooooo!! BOW DOWN to the superior UPSCALE "sweet" "awesome" CoStar. Remember, Knowledge Is Power, Whatever The Mind Can Conceive and Believe It Can Achieve. You have a lot of people who thinks, because they don't know about a certain thing or a technology exist, then it cannot be or even exist ... Simply because the have no knowledge of "Yet To Be Technology" that a certain thing exist and works ... That's how they limit their mind and thinking ...! "NO I'm not kidding, simply ridiculous, I don't think so ... I guess the men in the above YouTube videos don't know what they are talking about either ....(lol)....SWEET!!!!!....Woooooooooooooo!! Thank you for your opinion!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 6