Quantcast

Wired connection won't work - only wireless

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by mustang1068, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Just received my Google TV yesterday (Logitech Revue) and everything went smoothly with setup and updates over my wireless connection. Been having fun playing and everything was working great. So today, I decide play time is over and I will bother with hard wiring the ethernet cable. I cannot get it to give me an internet connection - says connected with limited access.

I have disabled the wireless on the Revue, and I have repeatedly reset, rebooted the device as well as the router. Plenty of IP addresses are available from the DHCP. My router shows it as connected, but Revue insists it has no internet connection. My network is maybe a little more elaborate than most:

Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> Gigabit Switch -> Wired Router (dhcp disabled) -> Revue

However, I have 3 other devices plugged into this router and it they all connect without issue.

Tivo->Revue->RCVR->TV

I am trying to determine if this is hardware or software issue. Also, one other disconcerting issue is that sometimes I get red, then grey screen after reboot of Revue (I assume some HDCP issue?) and I have to unplug for several minutes to get it working again - which makes it hard to keep experimenting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Is the second wired router functioning as a bridge instead of a router? Because DHCP broadcasts do not normally transverse past the local subnet. So, I would assume that the revue is timing out on the DHCP request.

As far as the solid screen, that's coming from your TV not the Revue, most likely as the result of HDCP handshake issues.

3. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Second router is being used as a switch (DHCP disabled). There are three other devices connected to this second router and none of them have problems getting IP addresses, just the Revue.

I did see that others are having this problem when I searched on the Logitech support forums - sounds like maybe it has issues with older devices, specific brands ??? Anyway, I just bought another switch and will try that and see if it helps with this problem (but that just raised the price of the Revue by another $40 - oh well, using an old router as a switch was kindof a hack anyway ;-)

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I just wanna be clear on this, because to be honest from your description it theoretically should work and getting another switch might not actually help. The second router closest to the Revue, there's nothing actually plugged into to its WAN port. And you're just using the numbered ethernet jacks, completely rendering the router / firewall non-functional. That would theoretically be the same as another switch, so getting a separate switch might not help.

Before you buy anything more, I would try connecting the Revue directly to your original router to make sure the Revue can actually obtain an IP address from its DHCP server.

5. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

Your understanding is correct and I agree it should work. Took your advice and connected directly to the switch (bypassing the second router), and though my dhcp table shows the correct mac address for the Revue and that it was assigned an IP address (192.168.1.9), the Revue still shows 'ethernet not connected' even after soft and hard reboot of both router and Revue. Not sure what else to try - other hardware is too far away to try connecting directly.

6. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

I take back that last comment - the entry in the DHCP table was left over from when it was connected wirelessly. It is not getting an entry when I connect wired.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Probably should exchange it for a different one, as it doesn't sound like ethernet is working on the Revue.

8. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    You can't have wireless and Ethernet running at the same time. When you first set up the device it asked you if you had wireless or hardwired. You might need to Factory Reset the device. Then during setup choose hardwired and see if that works.

9. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

You don't have to reset, just go into the settings and disable wifi...

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is actually untrue. You can use the Ethernet Jack as a bridge to the wireless network. This is one of the recommended configurations for the Enchanced DVR Support.

However, when the Ethernet Jack is used as a WiFi bridge, it will reside within its own private subnet and the Revue will also act as a DHCP server.

$Revue-WiFi-Bridge.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011