Quantcast

Windows Media Player won't stream content in Google browser

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by HOSong, Nov 2, 2012.

1. HOSong

HOSong New Member

Purchased the NSZ-GS7 with the intent of watching live TV programing from specific non-English sources via the internet. There are dozens of "channel" choices available but all, but a very limited few, use the Windows Media Player to stream the live TV programing we desire. Of course, we were not aware of this apparently built in limitation on this device.

Although what we do get works well enough, we are very disappointed this product is so crippled in function that our choices are so limited.:mad:

Has anyone found a reliable work-around that allows this unit, using the Google browser, to "play" streaming Windows Media files over the internet?:confused:

There are also internet resources that have a URL starting out with "mms://" that spawns an external Window Media Player that would be nice to use, but alas, that of course does not work either!:p

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have asked the creator of the GTVBox app if he could come up with something for streaming those TV stations with live video feeds that have the mms:// prefix. He had mentioned that he looked into it and found a partial solution. But then he said he got busy with other upgrades to the GTVBox app and I don't think he ever finished implementing it. I suggest that you post on his thread and ask him about it. If he gets enough requests for it maybe he will implement this functionality into his GTVBox app:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4075-gtvbox-video-player-support.html

To the best of my knowledge there is currently no workaround or app for viewing these kinds of streaming videos with GTV - nor is there any support for Windows Media Player.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

I still think it is possible.
    But these sites are really not very popular and very few people need this functionalily. MMS is not actually used anymore. It is usually MS HTTP streaming, which is rather complicated.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You might see if there's a PlugIn available for MediaMall's PlayOn server. This is a server that runs on a PC and streams media to your device using uPnP/DLNA. There's a PlanOn app available.