Quantcast

Windows Media Player Constantly Open?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by lardo5150, Nov 20, 2011.

1. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

I have windows 7.
    I am using windows media player for my server.
    I noticed that if I close out windows media player, the video/song on the revue stops.

So does media player have to be constantly open? There is no minimize to tray icon?

If this is true, do the other choices available for a server run in the background, and if so, how much of a footprint do they leave?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I can't respond to Windows 7 and its Media Player since I don't have it. But, I have used Twonky, PlayOn, TVersity Pro and a few others. They all appear as services and do not present themselves as a user application. The resource footprint is pretty minimal while they are not in use, while the actual use will vary upon whether or not it can stream or if it has to transcode. Obviously, the transcoding process can be taxing on a computer depending on your customized requirements and your system's specifications.

3. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

Thank you. I will try one of the others once I get everything figured out/ setup.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

5. Winkle

Winkle New Member

Im guessing you didnt read where it says start your media player to start server.. there server program is embedded in the WMP.. besides if you dont have it in your MP library it wont stream anywhere!