Quantcast

Windows Media Player 12 'Play to' Sony GTV issue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by mathi, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mathi

mathi New Member

Good morning!

this might not be possible but in my mind it should be. On my Windows 7 PC I start the Windows Media Player and I can use the 'play to' function to play to any device on my wireless network. But the GTV device does not even show up so I cannot use the 'play to' function.
    Have you been able to configure this?

Thanks in advance!
    Mathi

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

What you are attempting is not possible. You are attempting UPnP push. Google TV media player only supports DLNA which is based on UPnP but has a more strict set of specifications.

A device can be DLNA compatible or UPnP compatible or both DLNA/UPnP. A DLNA device talking to another DLNA device are 100% compatible with each other because they adhere to the standard. A UPnP device to another UPnP device might not be totally compatible because they may do things differently. UPnP does not contain a strict set of guidelines.

You need to setup homegroup sharing on Windows 7 or use some other thrid party media sharing application in Windows.
    Then you use the Google TV media player to go find the content being shared.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. mathi

mathi New Member

Hi Galfert!

Thank you very much for the explanation and education!
    I appreciate it!

4. ecologyman

ecologyman New Member

can you do this (home group sharing) on Vista home premium?

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

No edition of Vista has homegroup sharing. But you can always install a 3rd party DLNA sharing software. Try PS3 Media Server as a free alternative. And there others too if you search around. People seem to like Twonky also. And if you can upgrade your Vista computer to Windows 7 that would be better on more than one account. Vista is just not a very good OS. Windows 7 will make your computer seem like a new faster system.