Quantcast

Windows media center

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by IdesEFX, Sep 29, 2011.

1. IdesEFX

IdesEFX New Member

hi all,

hope you guys can help.. im trying to connect to the windows media center from my sony google set-top box.
    i see it detected, i click on it, and it says that it cannot connect to the server and to try again later..

so i went to my computer and went through the media center settings and found the option for the extender.. the screen said to type in the numbers that appear on my google tv screen..but there are no such numbers appearing.. it just says it cannot connect to server and to try again later..

im sorry if this was posted elsewhere and a solution is available..im new to the forums and just want a quick resolution.. i already have tversity, and i cant play MKV files, so i was hoping that windows media center can..

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sony Internet TV aren't Microsoft Media Center Extenders. It comes with a program called Media Player which acts as a DLNA client and a USB Media Player. I recommend looking at one of the DLNA servers like Twonky, TVersity, or PlayOn to stream your multimedia files to your Google TV device.

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

Eferz is right you can't use the Media Center Extender feature but there is a different way using another component of Windows. If you are running Windows 7 you can use the built in DLNA service that Microsoft calls HomeGroup. Once in it go to "Choose media streaming options" and unblock your Google TV device and set it to Allow. You'll probably have to change the device selection drop down to show "All Networks" to see the Google TV device. The Google TV device will be listed as "Unknown Device". You can also choose which libraries to share.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Did this end up working well?

5. Mcfeelysz

Mcfeelysz New Member

Hi i have been struggling with trying to connect my google tv to my network in order to stream media from my computer to my television. I use the media player app on the google tv when it searches for devices on my network it finds nothing just reads internal device. When i go to media streaming options on my computer and sharing options the google tv is nowhere to be found. Is my google tv defective? Do i need to have it hard wired in order for it to show up? Is there an option on the google tv box to allow it to be visable on the network? Thanks in advance!

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No your Google TV is amost certainly not defective, you need to use it as a client and the PC as a server and both must be setup before use by installing software, depending on your needs that are several options. You don't mention which Google TV box you have or anything about files or services you want to access but if you will provide that information, someone here shoulld be able to point you in the right direction.

7. Mcfeelysz

Mcfeelysz New Member

I have the Sony NSZ-GS7. I am simpy trying to stream ANY media from my pc to my Google tv box. When i go into media sharing on my computer the google tv does not appear, even if i select all other networks. My laptop is connected through wifi as is my NSZ-GS7. Do either need to be hardwired in order to detect eachother on the network? MY NSZ-GS7 doesn't find my laptop either. It is connected to the wifi i am able to stream netflix use browser etc.

Thanks in advance

8. Mcfeelysz

Mcfeelysz New Member

Update:

I was able to look at a network map and it shows the googletv however it says "The following devices can not be placed in the map" : Googletv

9. chig

chig New Member

Please help, I am having the same issue as the guy above with the Sony GS7.
    This is my 2nd GTV, it picks up my Sony TV fine but it will not recognize the box as a media device. Extremely frustrating..

I labeled them differently, the TV in my room is named "Sony Internet TV" and the GS7 in the den is labled "Sony Google TV". It has it under 'Other devices' and there is nothing I can do to change it or recognize it as something else. Is there some setting to change somewhere that I may not know about?
    $network map.JPG

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

If you are interested in ditching Media Center and converting your PC into a Myth TV DVR then this App is for you see vid demo below:

There is a MYth TV for Google TV thread for more info and there is tons of info on the web explaining how to set up a PC as a Myth TV backend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  11. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

IMHO Windows built in media share is really lacking in capabilities and compatibility. I would suggest disabling windows media share and installing something like Servio, Playstation Media Server, Plex Media Server, PlayOn or TVersity. Anyone of those will support DLNA as well as trans-coding support, and if you run into problems they will be a lot easier to get support for. I have yet to have windows media sharing work properly with devices other then WMP or WMC.

• Like Like x 2