Quantcast

Windows Media Center IR Codes for Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by bigsam411, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

Hi all,

I just recently set up a Cablecard tuner and Windows Media Center on my desktop and have purchased a Ceton Echo media center extender for my TV. I also have a Vizio Co-Star, and would like to know if I could somehow have Google TV get the remote codes for Windows media center so I could Integrate it with the Primetime app and the more integrated search. I have done all kinds of searching on this and have not found anything.

I also understand that the user-base for both Windows Media Center and Google TV is quite small and therefore any overlap would be really small so if it doesn't work now chances of getting it to work are really slm.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are part of a tiny niche within a tiny niche, about the equivalent of people with six toes on their left foot who have also been hit by lightning. I will say both products are very good but that is never a guarantee of finding a large market. I don't know if there is a way for the Vizio Co-Star to control a Windows Media Center and can't offer anything beyond an attempt at humor and an understanding of what you are going through looking for the answer.

3. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

Whew, good thing I have 6 toes on my right foot and not my left. Otherwise with that and the lightning strike I would have really been saddened about my minority status.

Thanks for the reply though. I will now be off on my quest to get my dilemma resolved. (I think the guys behind the Phantom game console product have the answer)

4. palms

palms New Member

This can absolutely be done, and I do it. I finally got rid of my cable box which is awesome. You need to install event ghost on your media center computer and hook up a media center ir receiver as well. Event ghost can learn any any ir signal. So when you push a button on your Google tv it sends the proper command to the htpc. It took me a little while to figure out but it works great.

Palms

• Like Like x 6
  5. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

Awesome! You have almost answered my question though, I have a Media Center Extender (Ceton Echo) which has the same IR codes as Media Center. What are your thoughts on getting that to work with Event Ghost? My guess is that it probably won't work.

6. palms

palms New Member

I'm not real familiar with the co-star but I think you are kind of out of luck there. I also have an Echo and have it connected to my Revue, but the Revue has the harmony component built in so it controls the Echo just fine. (i have my htpc hooked up to my Sony Blu Ray GTV using event ghost)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

Went to event ghost site. Can anyone give details how to do this? I have Homerun Prime with 3 comcast tuners. When I try to get my gtv 40" sony to manually use Cable Comcast for my WMC7 connection none of the comcast codes work with media center ir receiver for channel changing. Looks like the event ghost solution would work since I see video in the setup window. I have the WMC7 pc hook to HDMI 2. I would like to get GTV Guide (Primetime) and channel change function working. PS I tried with comcast new hd dta on HDMI 3 and it works, but does not have my HBO, Showtime, Encores, and other preferred channels that my WMC7 has. New hd dta has basic and extended sd and hd channels. Comcast codes work with new hd dta.

Looks like Palms made it work. This is actually backwards of what most are using event ghost for. Need details Comcast (Sony NSG-MR1) remote to WMC7.

Edit: Installed Eventghost, installed plugin Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista/Win7 for my windows 7 machine that has an ir receiver.

Note: this plug-in changes the registry and my WMC remote would now only work with Eventghost. Found another text file at Eventghost forum that I could download to make my WMC remote work with and without Eventghost running. I exported my Registry with Regedit before running this file. To run the text file the directions had you change it to reg extension. Warning Registry changes are dangerous. I should have exported my Registry before installing the plug-in. If you are not comfortable with Regedit get someone to help you. These work automatically for me without manually changing the Registry. Again if not comfortable get some help before doing things that change the Registry.

Made a new EventGhost file I called "wmc7", added above MCE Remote - Vista/Win7 plug-in plus MCE Plugin. Then I used Configuration submenu add macro MCE items for what I needed my Sony NSG-MR1 remote to do. I learned to use MCE macro after I manually added the first two Macro items.

To have EventGhost work with my Sony 40" GTV, I had to plug in the external sensor in the TV and place it in front of my computer's "ir" receiver. To get the codes I aimed my Sony Remote at the 40" tv and my WMC remote at the computer's "ir" receiver. Aiming the Sony GTV remote directly at the receiver gave my multiple codes for each push that only partially worked.

I drug the proper codes to the macro. Most of the time I would have one code from the Sony remote and one from the WMC remote. The Sony codes said unknown with HEX values. Since the Sony remote needs to function in GTV as well I used the "DVR" button for back. I guess, since the reg file reinstated the WMC remote commands, I could of only added the Sony remote commands to my Configuration. Without running the reg file the WMC remote commands needed to be in the configuration as well, since the Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista/Win7 disabled them and the only way the WMC remote could work was if the command (button) was in the EventGhost configuration.

Set EventGhost to run at startup.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  8. lschroeder

lschroeder New Member

Here is an attachment that contains my wmc7.xml file that EventGhost application uses. I have also included a .txt version. Now Primetime app works great with my HD Homerun Prime Cable card and WMC7.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. chopper

chopper Active Member

Let's see a You Tube Demo of this set up working as it sounds cool?

10. tedb

tedb New Member

I'm in the same boat (a niche user within a niche:
    Ceton Echo
    Vizio Co Star

I can get the Vizio remote to control the Echo, if I set it up as an Internet Media Device.
    I've tried to add Sat/Cable providers (Digital Tuner) or DVR devices and I've tried to see if a few codes woud work, bt gave up after I I went from all the manufacturers from A-F.

I think something (as posted above) with a Harmony software built in with an IR Blaster is the answer for NOW, but I can control Windows Media Center with the current set-up, so I'm thinking that it's just an update to add Windows Media Center as a *working "DVR" or "Set top OTA TV Tuner"

* I did see the Microsoft and Windows Media Center we selections for DVR in the Vizio Co-Star device set-up, but I could not get either to control the Echo.

If I can sound-off on how this set-up (WMC, Ceton Echo, Vizio Co-Star) has so much great potential:
    In my opinion, this is probably one of the best set-ups for free, ota TV, near-limitless DVR (depending on your storage capabilities), lets you access Amazon, YouTube, Netflix etc (none of this is capable on the Echo, and most of this is super difficult to set-up on a WMC HTPC).

We are niche users within a niche group because we think outside the box ;)