Quantcast

Will Xbox Bing Solve The Video Search Problem?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Will Xbox Bing solve the video search problem? | Crave - CNET (click link for full article)

'Only a few years ago there was only Netflix, but now Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and Vudu all offer top-notch streaming video services. The variety is great, but it forces streaming video fans to keep a mental catalog of where their favorite shows and movies are available. When I rereviewed the Apple TV, I almost rented "The Trip" for $5 before I realized it was available for free on Netflix.

Cross-platform video search is the obvious fix, but everyone (Samsung Smart Hub, Sony Internet video search, etc.) has failed to comb through multiple services. Even Google TV fails to even search Netflix results, after being on the market for almost a year. What's really needed is a service like Clicker or Fanhattan built into a streaming video box, allowing you to search all the streaming video sources you subscribe to and show pricing. (Disclosure: Clicker is a part of CBS Interactive, which also publishes CNET.)

Microsoft is the next to take on video search in the home theater with the upcoming fall Xbox Dashboard update, which includes Bing video search. It's not perfect, but it's promising to do what nobody else has been able to do yet: true cross-platform search between Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Xbox Live Marketplace. That's better than anyone else so far and Xbox is in a good position to add more searchable services, since HBO Go, Bravo, and Crackle are also headed to the console."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011